907X

Previous topic - Next topic

hvk

I guess you were all disappointed about the 50 MP sensor and failed to notice the big news? IMO it is the 907x. They are introducing a new mechanical design which tells me they are commited to expanding the X system. Also they offer a way forward for V-series users. Higher resolution sensors will follow, of course.

The 907X looks like the starting point for a truly modular camera system that can be extended in many ways.
I can't wait to put this on my Rodeon panorama rig (where I use Fuji X today) or on a drone.

/Henrik

Neimad

On one side and as a current CFV 39 user, I appreciate the effort done by Hasselblad to offer a new updated digital back for the V system. The new 907X is also good news as it creates a kind of a link between the V and the X system.
On the other side, there is no pricing and availability. Pricing could be quite high compared to the X1D. The last CFV 50C which was using the current X1D sensor was USD10K.
Also, Hasselblad is a small company and I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to maintain so many systems. It will be more cost efficient to focus on developing the X2D with the new Sony 100MP.

Iceman1331

Regardless of the new 907X introduction, I still see that we still have to use the step-down method to use the V lenses to take the photo, unless you use the XCD lenses which are what the 907X body seems to make for. A mechanical V lens is different from the digital XCD lens depends on what camera body you are using. It may be more economical to just use a converter/adapter on the V lens to fit in any digital bodies, such as the HB's VX lens adapter to use V lens on the X1D body, with the step-down necessary to take the shot.

hvk

Quote from: Iceman1331 on June 20, 2019, 10:13:41 AM
Regardless of the new 907X introduction, I still see that we still have to use the step-down method to use the V lenses to take the photo, unless you use the XCD lenses which are what the 907X body seems to make for.

Or you could move the back to your V body and get the "full 500 experience" with optical finder etc and switch back to the 907X when you want AF and modern wide angle lenses.

Depending on interfaces etc It would also be possible to make a 907H body with native H-mount or a 907TS that has integrated tilt/shift.

hvk

Quote from: Neimad on June 20, 2019, 09:53:35 AM
Also, Hasselblad is a small company and I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to maintain so many systems. It will be more cost efficient to focus on developing the X2D with the new Sony 100MP.

I bet a pretty significant part of the R&D cost is sensor integration and software. The 907X and X1 cameras are for different markets and offer a possibility to increase volume while reusing this investment.

So the X1 (or X2) can stay light and appeal to the travel/nature photographer while the 907 can be positioned for users that need a more flexible system and are willing to trade off some portability (and cost).

david distefano

for me this has the potential to be the bigger news. buying the 907 and the new cvf-50ll digital back that can be used on my v system body opens up so many avenues. 1) a very light weight auto focus camera 2) used on the v system body along with the film backs so you don't need to carry multiple camera systems. 3) use on tech cams. like i said potentially, it all depends on what hasselblad will be asking for these items. does anyone here have a clue on price, i am hoping that we see it priced to closely match the x1d ll since xcd lenses can be used on the 907 which would be an added benefit to hasselblad in lens purchases.

fotophil

Hasselblad has not offered an adapter for mounting Series V Lenses onto the XiD Camera while retaining the leaf shutter function but they did offer an adapter for the Series H Lenses that did use  the leaf shutter and in some instances also provided auto focus.

It seems that the new 907 Camera will also require an adapter in order to use the leaf shutters of the Series V Lenses. I wonder if it will be offered or if the Series V Lenses will require an electronic shutter.

Bill_Evans

I dang near slept right through all these new Hassy announcements thinking none were gonna separate cash from my wallet. But the 907x could be problematic.  :o
BillEvansPhotography.net
BillEvansBlog.com

sog1927

Quote from: fotophil on June 21, 2019, 10:42:13 AM

It seems that the new 907 Camera will also require an adapter in order to use the leaf shutters of the Series V Lenses. I wonder if it will be offered or if the Series V Lenses will require an electronic shutter.

I believe that adapter is known as the "500c". ;)

hgtate

Quote from: fotophil on June 21, 2019, 10:42:13 AM
Hasselblad has not offered an adapter for mounting Series V Lenses onto the XiD Camera while retaining the leaf shutter function but they did offer an adapter for the Series H Lenses that did use  the leaf shutter and in some instances also provided auto focus.

Read the launch blurb, there will be a V lens adaptor.

Iceman1331

HB already has the VX adapter and i bought one from b&h.

sog1927

Quote from: Iceman1331 on June 22, 2019, 04:53:11 AM
HB already has the VX adapter and i bought one from b&h.

Yes, but it doesn't let you use the central shutter in the C/CF/CFi/CFe lenses. Phil specifically mentioned that. Unless they come out with a revised VX adapter which allows you to cock and fire the leaf shutter (as the H-series V adapter does), the only way to use the central shutter is to pick up a V-series body (pretty cheap these days).

Vieri

Hello Henrik,

for what it's worth, I wasn't disappointed by the X1D II, and didn't miss the 907x either :D

I think the 907x is a very smart move. I think that if you have / or love the look of / the V lenses, and/or if you love to use Tech cameras, the CFV II finally makes a lot of sense (no external battery like with the CFV 50, tilting screen, and so on). For those users, the 907x adds the possibility to use also "modern" XCD lenses. The announcement's tagline might sound a bit corny, but I think it's spot-on: the CFV II + 907x are definitely a bridge between the old Hasselblad tradition and the future of Hasselblad.

Incidentally, this has some added benefits too:

- It is easier to add a 100 MP sensor in a digital back, where you are not constrained by a beautiful design which you don't want to spoil by making it fatter as with the X1D; if they need to make the CFV 100 slightly thicker, they probably wouldn't think about it for a second, while I am pretty sure that the X2D will have the same body as the X1D, which is probably why we hadn't seen it announced now - they simply couldn't make it work in this body;
- Hasselblad clearly considers the X line "the future of Hasselblad", which should be very reassuring for all the doomsayers out there who predict the extinction of the company every time they feel Hasselblad is late with delivering what they feel Hasselblad should have delivered when they feel it should have;

So, I think the CFV II + 907x is a great concept. Since I do landscape only, for now I still think that the X1D suits my needs better, but that's just me of course.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/