is it worth to upgrade 50c to 100c?

Previous topic - Next topic

pdprinter

I have the 907X50c for years and I am basically happy with it using the 28P, 40P and 90V. I am not so interested in higher pixel count but are some improvements with the 100C I consider a potential advantage:  lower weight (120g less), faster and better autofocus maybe slight improvements in colors and DR. I was hoping that IBIS would be possible but that did not happen which in my opinion is the most significant reason to upgrade (i.e. no tripods when it is not possible/inconvenient). Of course the 1TB SSD is cool. One alternative is the X2D but it has a major weight penalty compared to the X1D. Weight is for me important as I am using my cameras frequently on hikes including multiday backpacking on which I was fine with just the 907X50C and the 45P.
I am also very interested in macro photography and the 907X works fine in studio settings especially using some processing lenses and manual focus stacking but that is not something I want to use outdoors hiking. Also the focus bracketing works fine with the 45P or 90V using achromatic close up lenses but it is very slow so extremely challenging outdoors with any wind, more so compared to other systems.

polychloros

If you use flash, the 100C has another advantage with its supplied TTL flash adapter which is a neater and more convenient way of connecting a Profoto trigger or equivalent.

Personally, I won't be upgrading to the 100C version until I feel I have had sufficient use from my 50C. I too use my 907x and 45P on long hikes where weight is a significant consideration but, for me, a 120g weight saving isn't a sufficient justification for the upgrade cost. I mostly use manual focus so the focussing improvements are not going to persuade me to upgrade. All in all, the new 100C seems like a nice upgrade but I'm quite happy with what I have already got.