MF override when in AF mode??

Previous topic - Next topic

FirstLights

I just realized that turning the focus ring of the lens is changing the focus even when in AF and whilst keep shutter button half pressed - that's bad  >:( because when shooting out of the hands, one of my hand is usually on the lens for balance, hence there is a risk of shifting focus prior to exposure!
Am I missing something here??
FirstLights
Visit me at www.500px.com/firstlights

FirstLights

I have just contacted Hasselblad customer support and suggested to disable MF override once the AF is locked by shutter pressed half down ...
See what they say.

Maybe that is a reason why some reviewers are complaining about more missed focus events with AF on the X1D vs the GFX ...?
FirstLights

FirstLights

Folks - am I just stupid in messing up focus on some handheld shots by accidentally moving the focus ring on then lens after AF has locked (shutter button half pressed)?
No one else is encountering that issue??
Are you guys holding the camera differently??
Thanks, Holger
FirstLights

Tailwagger

Quote from: FirstLights on November 07, 2019, 09:48:02 PM
Folks - am I just stupid in messing up focus on some handheld shots by accidentally moving the focus ring on then lens after AF has locked (shutter button half pressed)?
No one else is encountering that issue??
Are you guys holding the camera differently??
Thanks, Holger
I might be.  Years with Ms with lots of wide shots ruined by fingers in the corners of frames (tiny lenses, very easy to wave a pinky into a corner) coupled with a desire to be able to reliably shoot at lower shutter speeds, caused me to adopt the palm under technique where the left hand sits under the camera palm up as a platform for the camera.  I've never encountered the problem you're experiencing and as a bonus have managed good results hand holding the 45 down to a 1/15" or less. I've shot the M successfully down to 1/6", even a 1/3" on occasion... breadth held and arms tight to the body.

FirstLights

Thanks much Tailwagger - good advice, I'll give it a try!
FirstLights

JCM-Photos

you just have to enable the automatic MF loupe.
Then if you touch the focus ring after AF focus, the viewfinder turns too loupe function and you are no more able to frame the subject.
Doing so, helps you to learn holding correctly your camera.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

FirstLights

Yes - good advice, this will certainly detect the moving of the focus ring.
However in street photography sometimes one has to be very quick and cannot always take care of the correct grip.

The firmware solution could be to offer a menu option to disable manual focus-by-wire when on AF - at least once the shutter button is half pressed and AF has locked focus.
HB Customer Service has taken up this idea and forwarded it to their R&D team, they put it on the list for future firmware improvements - we will see ...

FirstLights