Shutter Sound

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Lau

Hello, being new to the X1D system, medium format and leaf shutter in general, I was quite surprised by the sound the camera makes. I only have two lens at the moment: the 45 and the 80. The 80 is quite a bit quieter than the 45 with a dampened feel to the "shhhk". I found the 45 quite peculiar especially with the lens hood on. I would make this sound like: "Shhhhk....ding!" where the metal hood would ring like a bell. Has anyone had this experience? Also, I tried using the electronic shutter but it too was far from silent.

braver

That's totally normal and one grows to get used to it.  So the others just feel quieter, not more normal.:)

Shuttermuse

Every XCD lens has a different shutter sound to it.

Models love it because it's so different to any other camera.

I'm a bit concerned about what you described with your 45, it should be very crisp but I don't know about being different with the lens hood on. I had the shutter mech totally blow up on my 45 and it was over December so I ended up waiting almost 2 months to have it repaired due to holidays and delays.

If you use back button shooting you can actually fire off shots much quicker and it sounds really cool.

BillW

I really like the shutter sounds. My hearing has declined the past several years so every lens pretty much sounds the same. I guess there are some positives to growing older...!! ;D
Thanks
Bill

dancook

I'm looking forward to the quieter shutter sound of the XCD 80mm, I used to have the XCD 90mm and a loud shutter is not good for candid documentary photography and live music

JCM-Photos

First XCD lenses like 45mm or 90mm (the loudest in my opinion) are louder than newer ones like my 21mm or 135mm.
It certainly depends on the shutter size, the bigger one has double actuating spools that seem quieter than the smaller single spool shutter !
Sharpen your eyes not your files