X1D and Nikon Flash overexposure.

Previous topic - Next topic

sepiareverb

Been unable to get decent exposures with flash, everything comes out overexposed.

X1D, model 1 in A mode, Nikon SB500 in TTL mode.

Not finding any way to keep the flash from overexposing. Dialing down exposure compensation has no effect. A or P shutter mode has no effect. Angling the flash head has no effect.

Any suggestions?

vidio

I don't think either the A mode or the S mode work very well with the flash. I use the M mode. I set aperture and shutter speed to the desired settings and then let the TTL function determine flash power to match those settings. And it does it pretty well. If you want to increase or decrease the ratio of flash to ambient light or vice versa you have to experiment with the aperture and shutter settings.

dece

I think the idea of TTL is that the flash "sees"/knows (from the camera + a pre-flash test) the light "situation" & camera exposure settings, to adapt flash intensity/duration so that it get the "correct" exposure; so changing camera exposure or flash angle will not change much. The solution is "flash exposure compensation" (FEC) (not camera exposure compensation) = just telling the flash to output less or more than what it would do "normally". Set it to minus something ...
FEC is the only way to control flash exposure in TTL, camera exposure settings will only control ambient vs flash light ratio (and depth-of-field).
If there is no FEC, use the flash in manual mode ...

(or you could trick the TTL system into believing it receives lots of light by putting reflective material around your subject that will then end up being less exposed ;) Btw, if you want to correctly expose for something bright/reflective use FEC set to plus something)

p.s. With my Godox V1 I also got over-exposures (on skin); setting FEC to -0.7 gave good results.

p.s. if I understand it right it looks like Nikon FEC setting is on the camera! so is likely not accessible on the flash itself ? = you won't be able to use FEC with the Nikon flash on the X1D (that is ~ Nikon flash system compatible but has no setting for FEC)...

sepiareverb

It seems that by "compatible" Hasselblad means the SB500 will fire. It remains wholly incompatible for TTL as it cannot be adjusted on the unit itself. Sigh. Off to find a better flash.

dece

... The godox V1 works with the X1D, TTL & FEC including (but I have this weird "should be slid-in ON to be recognized" behavior, see https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=6677.0 ), Profot A1 ? maybe (but too expensive to buy before testing if it works ;) )

Non round head speedlight: Nissin i40/60 ? ('seem to have on flash FEC setting, see 3rd image in https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034031-REG/nissin_nd40_n_i40_flash_for_nikon.html )

PaulMcB

@edouard thanks for sharing the insights here. I picked up a Nissin i60 on the back of your feedback - it's super compact and delivers a much better flash result, driven by the ability to adjust FEC and other output variables not present on my Nikon flash.

dece

@PaulMcB good to know, so there are no problem with Nissin i60... I'm still wondering if I'm the only one to have the strange - no working TTL if flash is turned ON AFTER sliding it into the ON camera - problem ? (anyway my 4116 is back to Hasselblad to (also) fix randomly unresponsive shutter problem!). Maybe I'll swap my V1 for the Nissin! ;)

dece

p.s. after 3 month with the camera I've looked at the manual!  ;)
Ooops, in fact, there is (at least with latest firmware) a flash exposure compensation (FEC) setting on camera: tap the Exposure Adjust setting on the Control Screen (+/- icon), there you could change: Flash Exposure compensation (top slider) and Fixed Exposure compensation (bottom slider).
(It works with my V1, should work on Nikon flashes with no on flash FEC!)

sepiareverb

I got a SB700 in, but have not been able to mess around with it. No real capacity for much of anything with my wife now working in a Respiratory ICU.