What the .. is that?

Previous topic - Next topic

NickT

Just FYI I was referring to the X1D and where it was being made... DJI need to remove the "Made in Sweden".

Also note that I am not suggesting that a product NOT made in Sweden is inferior these days but let's be honest about it.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Bob Andersson

Quote from: NickT on August 09, 2019, 06:25:41 PM
Just FYI I was referring to the X1D and where it was being made... DJI need to remove the "Made in Sweden".

Also note that I am not suggesting that a product NOT made in Sweden is inferior these days but let's be honest about it.

Thanks for the update. On reflection they may be able to retain the "Handmade in Sweden" moniker but if there's a label that says "Made in Sweden" that might be illegal in some jurisdictions given it isn't. Am I cancelling my order for the X1D II because it is made in China? Not a chance!  :)

fotophil

There must be a tremendous difference in cost to produce a camera in Asia compared to Sweden. Since the "retail" price of the X1D-II is almost half of the original X1D something has had to give. Perhaps Hasselblad has investigated these costs differences with respect to the full production of the future X2D Camera in China? Perhaps Hasselblad has already moved parts production the new X1D-II components to China and will limit the Swedish involvement to final assembly? Perhaps the X1D-II will be completely done in China? It is hard to imagine that a large Chinese Company that controlled or fully owned Hasselblad would not want to move the production out of a high labor cost country such as Sweden ASAP. Are the additional manufacturing expenses associated with a "Made in Sweden" Label cost effective? Based upon the iPhone, it certainly appears that the Chinese have been able to produce high quality products so would a "Made in China" Label negatively affect the sales of the Hasselblad XxD Products?

MGrayson

I don't care where it's made. I care how it's made, and I care about QC. The latter most of all.

michael123

While I want to see a proof where mk2 is made, I don't think the new retail cost relates to the self cost of manufacturing.

Ikarus

My phone is made in China, and much else ...

michael123

and I like when my products are proudly made in Europe, I appreciate the quality and like to pay for that.

Are you buying your medicine made in China? Why not?

iPhone... I want to see the moment when they start to develop software in China :)
Apple are paying mega-salaries for its developers in USA.

I wrote already once here that DJI drones were already on probe somewhere.
If you don't care, somebody does care.

BTW,
Chinese people themselves are over paying for European products, and I highly doubt if DJI will move final assembly into China.
They know that's an asset people pay for.

And written all that..
Hasselblad X1D actually suffered from quality control issues.
Suffered from software bugs.
Suffered from design issues (like that slowness, that even in mk2 was **not** resolved)
Lens issues, like badly famed Macro 120mm

So in our specific case, I don't know if that's actually an advantage of being "Made in Sweden"

Bob Andersson

Hasselblad have just (dated August 8th) re-released v1 of the manual. As I noted in this thread the revised image of the base of the camera still says "Made in Sweden".  ;D

George

Quote from: fotophil on August 10, 2019, 05:45:08 AM
There must be a tremendous difference in cost to produce a camera in Asia compared to Sweden. Since the "retail" price of the X1D-II is almost half of the original X1D something has had to give. Perhaps Hasselblad has investigated these costs differences with respect to the full production of the future X2D Camera in China? Perhaps Hasselblad has already moved parts production the new X1D-II components to China and will limit the Swedish involvement to final assembly? Perhaps the X1D-II will be completely done in China? It is hard to imagine that a large Chinese Company that controlled or fully owned Hasselblad would not want to move the production out of a high labor cost country such as Sweden ASAP. Are the additional manufacturing expenses associated with a "Made in Sweden" Label cost effective? Based upon the iPhone, it certainly appears that the Chinese have been able to produce high quality products so would a "Made in China" Label negatively affect the sales of the Hasselblad XxD Products?

Do not forget that there was a lot of research done for the X1-D, that needed to be paid.
The version II is the same camera with some improvements.