USB C (Thunderbolt3) and firewire

Previous topic - Next topic

NickT

Just wondering if anyone has experience using this configuration as I'm considering updating a workstation.

I'm currently running iMac>Thunderbolt2>FW800 via an adaptor. If I upgrade I'll need iMac>USBC (aka Thunderbolt3)>Thunderbolt2 then Thunderbolt2> Firewire800

Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jerome_m

I have tried that and it works for me. I cannot promise it will work for you, however. The problem is that the power specs for the TB3-TB2 adapter are a bit low, so it may depend on your camera. If the connection is flaky, you will need a firewire power injector or powered hub.

Note that not all USB-C plugs supports thunderbolt and then it does not work. iMacs support thunderbolt, so a new iMac would not be a problem. OTOH, the 12-inch macbook would not work.

NickT

Thanks Jerome that's very helpful. Any recommendations on a powered hub? My old Granite Digital one has died...
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jerome_m

No recommendations as I don't need one myself. Additionally, firewire devices being now a rarity, you take what you can find...

Note that a power injector should be cheaper and can be built by anyone with basic soldering skills.

bodtlaender

Your configuration worked for me just recently on location with a 2017 15 inch MBP touch bar and my H3D39. No problems at all.

However it does not work with my Leaf Aptus 75.

The reason ist, the HB consumes 7 Watts whilst the Leaf consumes 12 Watts. The adapter Thunderbolt 2 > Firewire 800 is limited to 10 Watts.

Best,

Bernd