• Hot pixels in "all" shots, normal for the X1D?

Previous topic - Next topic

hvk

Quote from: Dimitric on June 17, 2019, 03:41:47 AM
Is the result acceptable for you?
Or is that still abnormal, and I should send back the X1D?

No it is not acceptable.

Once again, you should send a raw file to Hasselblad support and ask for their assistance. They are much more likely to diagnose the problem (and faster than asking for help on this forum). From what I see you will most likely have to deal with Hasselblad anyway.

I had a very similar problem in 2009 (see attached image) with a CFH-22 that required a CCD recalibration. I sent a raw file to Hasselblad and a few hours later they replied with a (correct) diagnosis. 

/Henrik

Dimitric

Hi HVK -

Thank you (again) for your reply...
Hmmm... Do you know an "efficient" Hasselblad e-mail address?

- Dimitri

jwillson

I don't think you have checked yet (or maybe just haven't said in the thread).  Are the hot pixels always the exact same pixels?  Or do they vary from one picture to the next?  Since your exposures are all relatively long, it is certainly possible that this is thermal noise you are seeing.  If that's the case, Hasselblad won't be able to fix it.  This would be indicated by the hot pixels being different in different exposures.  If it's always the same pixels—fixed pattern noise—Hasselblad may well be able to update the bad pixel map to account for this.

Vieri

Quote from: jwillson on June 19, 2019, 05:45:02 PM
...  Since your exposures are all relatively long, it is certainly possible that this is thermal noise you are seeing.  If that's the case, Hasselblad won't be able to fix it.  This would be indicated by the hot pixels being different in different exposures.  ...

For what is worth, I think Wilson is right with what happened. I have seen the same behaviour (only much, much worse) with my Leica SL + long exposures + CameraRaw. With my X1D, using CmeraRaw I seldom see these coloured hot pixels but I still see them every now and then with very long exposures (10-12 minutes), but they are always in different places and they don't show up opening the same RAW in Phocus, so I think it's a combination of hot pixels and the way ACR deals with them (or doesn't deal with them), vs the way Phocus is able to make them go away. Or, perhaps they are simply generated by ACR when the file present some specific characteristics that ACR doesn't know how to deal with, while Phocus does (?). Either way, I don't think a trip to Sweden would change much. On the other hand, if they always show up in the same place, then definitely mapping can fix the problem and - in that case - a trip to Sweden would be worth trying.

Just my .02 of course.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

flash

I have two bodies and I've done a bunch of exposures longer than 5 minutes to 30 minutes. I get very very few. Neither of my cameras shows hot pixels like yours does. I would contact HB and send them a couple of raw files. I think your sensor needs some pixel mapping.

Gordon

Dimitric

Hello Guys -

Thank you to each of you for your feedback.
Regards,

- Dimitri

Dimitric

Hello -

It would seem that the X1DII suffers from the same symptom as its predecessor.
I took a picture with a 15-minute exposure.
And once the 3FR was converted to DNG, the hot pixels appeared.
They appear for a fraction of a second in Phocus and then disappear.
But with the DNGs they're still there.

So I derawtized the 3FR with Camera Raw.
Everything works perfectly, except that for each 3FR file an external .XMP file is created.

Is there a way to avoid this?
I mean, is there a way to integrate the Camera Raw info directly into the 3FR file so that there is only one file?

Thank you, Happy New Year to each of you.

- Dimitri

SrMi

In my 15 min exposure test with X1DII, only a few hot pixels appear (ISO 100). They are visible with RawDigger and not in LR. Either Hasselblad includes hot pixel information in the raw file or LR eliminates them by itself. I have observed similar behavior with Leica Q2 files.

Some cameras modify the raws in-camera to eliminate hot pixels (there is an option to detect hot/dead/stuck pixels), some cameras do it in the post. The catch is that you must use appropriate software to import X1D images.

Vieri

Quote from: Dimitric on January 02, 2020, 07:22:54 AM
Hello -

It would seem that the X1DII suffers from the same symptom as its predecessor.
I took a picture with a 15-minute exposure.
And once the 3FR was converted to DNG, the hot pixels appeared.
They appear for a fraction of a second in Phocus and then disappear.
But with the DNGs they're still there.

So I derawtized the 3FR with Camera Raw.
Everything works perfectly, except that for each 3FR file an external .XMP file is created.

Is there a way to avoid this?
I mean, is there a way to integrate the Camera Raw info directly into the 3FR file so that there is only one file?

Thank you, Happy New Year to each of you.

- Dimitri

Quote from: SrMi on January 02, 2020, 07:56:40 AM
In my 15 min exposure test with X1DII, only a few hot pixels appear (ISO 100). They are visible with RawDigger and not in LR. Either Hasselblad includes hot pixel information in the raw file or LR eliminates them by itself. I have observed similar behavior with Leica Q2 files.

Some cameras modify the raws in-camera to eliminate hot pixels (there is an option to detect hot/dead/stuck pixels), some cameras do it in the post. The catch is that you must use appropriate software to import X1D images.

Gentlemen,

I regularly work with long exposures, in the order of minutes, and I use Camera Raw as my Raw developer. Whether both my X1D IIs are hot-pixel free, or CR is doing something to clear them, my files come out clean after Raw conversion. CR creates a .xmp file with 3FR files, but doesn't create them with DNG files where you have the option to include edits in the DNG itself instead. I never tried to do that, but perhaps if you converted 3FR files to DNG first, before doing any adjustments, and then worked with DNGs instead, you could avoid the .xpm sidecar file problem. Not sure if this will work, but perhaps worth a try. Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

dece

I have ~hot pixels with my now old CFV-50 CCD back; more and more over time! (more with heat / long exposure), and now with my X1D (had few even in my 1st test shot, short expo @ 100 iso!)

It looks like phocus, at export (tiff) removes those ~hot pixels (but somehow degrades the noise quality of the image, even with minimal/no-noise reduction), whereas if you directly use the .3fr raw (or the .fff from phocus import) with CR, they are present (but the noise structure is better)
It looks like hasselblad camera do not ~hot pixel elimination in camera, they are present in the raw, must be eliminated by software (phocus, others? in some conditions).

If in a hurry: I export to tiff from phocus then work on PS (no hot pixel), If I have time (and a picture I really like) I directly "develop" with CR (then remove hot pixels 1 by 1 with "Spot Healing Brush Tool" ;) , no noise reduction nor dust and scratches removal, to preserve the better noise structure)

Dimitric

Hello Vieri -
Hello Edouard -

Quote... .xmp file with 3FR files, but doesn't create them with DNG files where you have the option to include edits in the DNG itself instead.
I never tried to do that, but perhaps if you converted 3FR files to DNG first, before doing any adjustments, ...

Export the 3FR files to DNG files is what I do usually (from Focus).
But then it is where I get the "hot pixels".

When I open directly the 3FR files with ACR, I have no hot pixels anymore but I get an extra ".XMP" file (what I don't want).
I prefer to have only only file per photo (Just me ;-)

Thank you for your feedback and input guys.

- Dimitri

dece

If (on macOS 10.15.2) I export to DNG from Phocus 3.4.8, I have the hot pixels (when I open the .dng with ACR), If I directly open the .3FR (or the .fff phocus import) into ACR v12.1.0.351 (inside photoshop 21.0.2 Creative Cloud), unlike you, I also have the hot pixels!
But if I remember correctly I didn't had this problem in the past! = with older version of ACR (before creative cloud??), so maybe in the past (or still in window version??) ACR was removing those hot pixels, but it's not the case anymore.
The hot pixels are in the generated raw files (not eliminated in camera) so exporting to another raw format like DNG won't remove them, they have to be removed by the used raw software. Anyway now with my X1D I have so few hot pixels it's not a problem (unlike with my 2012 CFV-50), but to me it looks like "recent" ACR regressed on the handling of those hasselblad raw files.
Exporting from phocus to tiff eliminates those pixels (but then, to me, the noise structure is less nice)

(and yes developing .3fr/3ff files with ACR generates .xmp files - with the used "development" setting - so that the raw files stay unmodified by the raw processing ... but if re-processed, the previously used parameter are pre-set via this .xmp ...with .dng it's the raw file itself that is modified after processing it!, 'havent' realized that before: the processing meta data is in the dng itself! but I prefer 2 files, conceptually they are different: one is the raw data, the other is the used processing parameters. Nothing forces you to store the .xmp unless you need to redevelop the file with exactly the same parameters)

SrMi

Quote from: Dimitric on January 11, 2020, 09:53:47 PM
Hello Vieri -
Hello Edouard -

Quote... .xmp file with 3FR files, but doesn't create them with DNG files where you have the option to include edits in the DNG itself instead.
I never tried to do that, but perhaps if you converted 3FR files to DNG first, before doing any adjustments, ...

Export the 3FR files to DNG files is what I do usually (from Focus).
But then it is where I get the "hot pixels".

When I open directly the 3FR files with ACR, I have no hot pixels anymore but I get an extra ".XMP" file (what I don't want).
I prefer to have only only file per photo (Just me ;-)

Thank you for your feedback and input guys.

- Dimitri

Why are you exporting to DNG from Phocus? DNG export from Phocus loses everything that Phocus has applied to the raw file. In fact, like with hot-pixels, the created DNG is worse than the original raw file. I wish Hasselblad would remove the DNG export option or at least invoke Adobe's tool to convert.

Use the free "Adobe DNG Converter" program to convert 3FR files to DNG (make sure you have the latest version). Those DNG files are as good as 3FR files read directly by Lightroom.

If you want to have the Phocus handle your raw files, then you should export as TIFF.

JCM-Photos

I really don't understand why the X1D makes hot pixels or not ?

Last year, around June my X1D began to make a lot of hot pixels in dark image areas, even in bright light and low ISO.

After a while, starting in september, I never saw again these hot pixels, even at low light and high ISO.

All my file have ever been developped only in Phocus.
Sharpen your eyes not your files