XCD 135mm

Previous topic - Next topic

dubois

This is addressed to those of you who own the 135mm. Could you comment on success or otherwise of using this lens handheld, with and without the TC?

Many thanks

Dubois

tedtrimmer

Very pleasant as a handheld lens for me:  The weak point is that I need a stable platform on which to compose and aim the shot.  I usually use manual focus with the 135mm lens and at least f/5.6 for depth of field.  Many of my photos are taken from a boat and if things are a bit lumpy on the ocean, the successful completion factor goes way down.  Most other photographs allow for the use of the tripod which produces better work.

dubois

Quote from: tedtrimmer on April 11, 2019, 07:42:59 AM
Very pleasant as a handheld lens for me:  The weak point is that I need a stable platform on which to compose and aim the shot.  I usually use manual focus with the 135mm lens and at least f/5.6 for depth of field.  Many of my photos are taken from a boat and if things are a bit lumpy on the ocean, the successful completion factor goes way down.  Most other photographs allow for the use of the tripod which produces better work.

Thanks for the reply but am I understanding you correctly that yes it is a good lens but only when you are able to rest it against a platform or using a tripod? If so, are you therefore saying that it is not suitable just handheld?

All best.   Dubois

chryshen

i just received mine last friday and was pleasantly surprised that i could shoot handheld at 2.8 with adequate shutter speed.  resulting images appeared fairly sharp when zooming in on rear screen.  it's not a lens i would use for walk-around shooting though.  to take advantage of the sensor it seems silly not to use a tripod, though in studio work with strobe you can naturally use it handheld if you choose.

tedtrimmer

The 135mm is fine for a single walk around lens if the subject of your photography is complimented by using the 135mm length.  My most common walk around lens is the 65mm for the sort of photographs that I take.

dubois

Thanks for your input.

To clarify, I use the 90mm quite comfortably handheld but sometimes I need a longer reach hence my question. From the specs , the 135mm is substantially longer and heavier and I was wondering about the practicality for handheld use.

flash

I have absolutely no issues with handholding the 135 with or without the TC. It's not a huge or overly heavy lens. Having the 2.8 is nice for keeping shutter speeds up a bit. My carry around bag is the 21, 30, 65 and 135. A super flexible kit in a small bag.

Gordon

dubois

Many thanks Gordon. I appreciate you making the time to answer. I will order the 135 + TC and will let you know. Availability is a bit uncertain in the UK but will post some pictures when I finally have it.