135 Lens vs 120 Lens AF speed

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Obviously the 135 lens is not yet shipping. However, I am seriously thinking of selling my XCD 120 Macro lens, and purchasing the 135 to replace it when they ship. Assuming the AF is faster. I mean, it CAN'T be any slower!
Don't get me wrong. The 120 is a superb lens in image quality. Can't ask for better. But the slow AF drives me bonkers, and limits what I can shoot with it. Hopefully, if I don't have to take too big a loss on my 120, and the 135 is faster in focusing, it will benefit me to make the swap.

Brandon

The 120mm speed makes it unusable in my opinion. I just returned mine. It also fishes for focus much more than is appropriate for its price point.

SrMi

Quote from: Brandon on February 11, 2019, 07:31:13 AM
The 120mm speed makes it unusable in my opinion. I just returned mine. It also fishes for focus much more than is appropriate for its price point.

What focus range have you used the XC 120mm with: full, near or far?

cementjungle

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on February 01, 2019, 10:16:48 AM
Obviously the 135 lens is not yet shipping. However, I am seriously thinking of selling my XCD 120 Macro lens, and purchasing the 135 to replace it when they ship. Assuming the AF is faster. I mean, it CAN'T be any slower!
Don't get me wrong. The 120 is a superb lens in image quality. Can't ask for better. But the slow AF drives me bonkers, and limits what I can shoot with it. Hopefully, if I don't have to take too big a loss on my 120, and the 135 is faster in focusing, it will benefit me to make the swap.

How do you know the 135 will be any better?
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

sanglier

Hi, don't Forget that 120 mm is a macro Lens, and macro photo is generally in Manuel Phocus.

Brandon

Quote from: sanglier on February 13, 2019, 10:52:24 AM
Hi, don't Forget that 120 mm is a macro Lens, and macro photo is generally in Manuel Phocus.

True, but most Macro lenses are not $4,000...

sanglier

Quote from: Brandon on February 14, 2019, 06:12:38 AM
Quote from: sanglier on February 13, 2019, 10:52:24 AM

True, but most Macro lenses are not $4,000...
I agree obviously, but when you put your feet at hasselblad, you know what to expect, and the macro, 200 € or 4000 €, the rules of use remain the same.

tedtrimmer

The XCD 120mm lens is a stalwart tool in my kit.  The macro capabilities have to be seen to believe.  No other lens that I have used even comes close to the capabilities and the potential of this lens.  Having said that I will dedicate several one lens days to this lens and it works in many situations where other lenses tend to fall short.  Manual focus with focus peaking is the most creative combination.  I wish Hasselblad would produce a Monochrome X1d, this lens would be even more valuable.  I remain a pleased customer.

vidio

I have used the 120 in the past and now have the 135 with 1.7 extender and the AF is much faster. Much faster and smoother, even with the extender attached. Image quality is on par with the 120 and the weight is about the same although the extender adds to that. But of course the 120 does macro whereas the 135 does not.