H6D-100c: I was sold a false bill of goods

Previous topic - Next topic

vpphotographs

The following is an account of my purchase of a Hasselblad H6D-100c, and the ongoing ordeal that followed my purchase decision.

In the spring of 2016 I received an email promotion from Hasselblad.  The promotion was for the 100c and offered a good trade-in for my H3D-31.               The trade-in promotion was enticing.  I imagined the X-large, detailed, and visually tactile exhibition prints I could make from its huge files.  And, so very importantly, the Hasselblad 100c's compatibility with my 35-90mm HCD and 28mm HCD lenses. I read the Hasselblad materials carefully.  I pondered the purchase as I perused the promotional materials.  Nothing, nothing in the promotional materials suggested that the image quality with HCD series of lenses would be compromised in anyway what-so-ever!  Rather, lens compatibility and performance was touted.  Even today, Hasselblad states, with willful deception, and without caveats, the: "....unmatched image quality, and ability to resolve the finest detail with our HC and HCD lenses, who's pedigree has long been proven...." 

I made the purchase and received the H6D-100c about a year later.  I put the  100c on a tripod and made test shots in my back yard.  I opened the files in RAW, applied the lens corrections,and opened into Photoshop.  The files at 100% were disappointing. Poor resolution in the corners and the short, lateral sides.  I thought, ..."it must be me, ...poor technique,... It couldn't be the Hasselblad!".  Repeated testing yielded the same poor results.

I'm not a big-shot, but I have been a serious photographer and printmaker for nearly fifty years - nearly all of those years using Hasselblad cameras.  They are tools I have always enjoyed using.  My issues with Hasselblad are, unfortunately, not only with the 100c and the HCD lens mismatches that defeat the full use of the 100c sensor, but with Hasselblad Inc., and the devious way they promote their products.

In June of 2018 I contacted my Hasselblad representative who sold me the camera, and sent him files to be analyzed.  The attached email chain details my conversation with Hasselblad over the past seven months. (The email chain runs earliest at bottom to current at top.)

SrMi

If you are shooting H6D-100 with HCD lenses, your best bet is to process the files with Phocus which automatically crops the images slightly to compensate for reduced image circle.

IMO, the fact that HCD lenses do not completely cover the larger sensor has been documented sufficiently. Ideally, your dealer would have informed you about that.

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with the system.

DJPixelMan

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else is having the same type of problem.  I would also suggest processing your files through Phocus. Have a go, and let us know the results.

tcdeveau

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I was in a similar position as you back in 2016.  I was considering trading in my H4D-40 for the H6D-100c, but the only lenses I had were the 35-90mm and the 28mm HCD.  They worked wonderfully on the H4D-40, but I wasn't sure about the larger sensor.  There was no information available about the compatibility of the HCD lenses with the H6D-100c at the time I was trying to make my decision.

The H6D-100c kept getting delayed and I don't think it started shipping, at least in the US, until winter of 2016 or early 2017.  I contacted my regional rep to try and get a demo with the 28mm HCD and 35-90mm lenses, but he never followed through with the demo.  At the same time, the X1D came out, and I decided to go with the X1D instead.  No way was I going to drop the $$ on the upgrade without being able to test the HCD lenses on the H6D-100c myself. 

I've seen some photographers that have good luck with the 35-90mm and H6D-100c, but not everyone's experience is the same obviously, and it seem to be a mixed bag.  If I were to make the decision again today, would I go again with the X1D or do the trade.  I don't know.  I have invested in a technical camera, which the H6D-100c would be compatible with, but again I tried to get a demo with the H6D and my Alpa and my rep did not follow through.  At least he emailed me saying he takes responsibility for the demo failure this time (while asking me to call him to place another 65mm XCD order, which I cancelled months prior), but HB does not seem to be very good at getting the information customers need to make purchase decisions to customers.  They are also not great at marketing or PR. 

I can only say definitely process your files through Phocus if you're not doing so, and I hope Hasselblad does read and follow these threads.  They need to know that they are not meeting some customers expectations and should work to remedy the situation if they want repeat and loyal customers, especially considering the price point of the H6D-100c. 

Dustbak

Yes, the HCD lenses were developed with 36mmx48mm sensors in mind. At that time there were no larger sensors (and many people believed they would not come any time soon). My HCD lenses perform pretty well on my H6D100 however I don't often need top resolution in the corners. I don't think it is a mixed bag experience, I think some photographers don't need top performance into the far corners while others really insist they have it.

When you really need top quality into the far I would suggest either use the auto crop function in Phocus (for optimum quality you should use Phocus anyway) or when you do not wish to crop which is understandable, get regular HC lenses. The HC50-110 is excellent though heavy.

fsprow

Sorry it doesn't work for you.  I will say the images with my H6D-100c with 100 and 50mm lenses are simply outstanding -- much better than any other camera I have ever used.  The resolution and three dimensional quality of the images is spectacular. I haven't any need to crop beyond that done within Phocus.

jimijamesu

Richard,

I am sympathetic to your issue. But, given the amount of time that has passed (especially because Hasselblad was known to have financial difficulty during that period) your proposed resolution seems very unlikely. At a base level, as a H4D60 user, I was aware that the HCD lenses do not cover the HC image circle. Just like using any crop frame lens on a full-frame camera the solution is usually at a cost. Now, I can appreciate if you weren't aware that the HCD lenses do not have the smaller image circle but I feel like it was made pretty clear with the H4D60 - which makes me think it wasn't made clear with the H6D100 literature you were looking at.

All that said it is really important that people understand the differences between the lens series and the sensor sizes. So, I am glad you posted your story. I am sure this could be made more clear in the marketing literature. As you observe I don't think there is a simple chart indicating lens compatibility (or function with / without drop factor on FF MF 645 sensors).

jerome_m

Just a thought: do you use a filter on your HCD lenses? If yes, remove it.

jhartman

I have processed hundreds of files with a 28mm HCD lens on my H6D-100c and have never noticed an issue with soft corners. I use Lightroom, not Phocus, but the Lens Correction function does exceptionally well, even without cropping the file from its original size. I do recall reading about this issue extensively before I upgraded from the H5D-50c but it has never shown up as a problem on the files.

I've uploaded an unedited sample file to Dropbox if you're interested. Take a look in the corners at 100%—very sharp.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mbzpoh02kw3zxj/28mm%20HCD%20test.jpg.zip?dl=0

maxnardi

Same here, exceptional results from h6d-100c + 28mm