Best flash option for X1D for occasional off and on-camera use?

Previous topic - Next topic

maxct

Hi.  I have a X1D on the way and was wondering what flash system to get for it for when I want some fill-in flash or to do a little off-camera creative flash once in a while.  I don't need a multi-flash set up (so the Profoto A1 looks like overkill).  Maybe the Nikon SB-600 with SC-29 off-camera cord?  TIA!

Peter

Iskander

I've tried my Nissin i40 (usually for my Nikon D5) and it works without any problems in the hot shoe - in TTL too.
It's tiny, light and helpful for fill-in-flash. I can recommend this one for the X1D.

Michael

Iceman1331

I bought the Nikon SB-700 with SC-28 off-camera cord at the same time when I bought my X1d. You should refer to the X1d manual on what type of flash to be used and pay attention to the disclaimer that the camera warranty may be void if different kind of flash is used instead.

hugenoot

I'm very happy with my X1D and the Profoto A1 for off and on-camera use...

jwillson

The Profoto A1 with a Profoto Air Remote TTL is, I think, the best option out there for off and on camera flash on an X1D.  However, it's awfully expensive.  If you are really only need this for occasional use and don't need a ton of power, maybe something like a Nikon SB-300.  It would work well for basic fill flash capabilities.  If you need more power, you can work your way up the Nikon line to the SB-700 or SB-900.  For off camera, were you thinking wireless or wired?  On my Leicas I use very simple/very inexpensive Chinese made wireless remote triggers and they seem work on the X1D as well.  As it happens, I haven't tried them for TTL use, just manual exposure on the strobe, so I can't confirm whether there are any issues using wireless and more sophisticated functions. 

maxct

Thanks everyone.  The Profoto looks great but overkill for my needs and budget.  I found a used Nikon SU-800 and SB-700 for a little over $300 combined.  That should meet my needs for the foreseeable future...