Release cable for X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

rent

I'm one or two versions behind the latest firmware. And I'm holding off updating until I get my 2.5->3.5mm adapter so I can test this out on my slightly outdated firmware. Should have it in a week or so.

But I'm not brave enough to roll back all the way to the original firmware.  :P

Alex

Quote from: galoubet on September 05, 2018, 07:21:46 PM
Quote from: fotophil on September 05, 2018, 05:19:58 PM
I also wonder those vindictive people at the factory might try to disable the headphone jack.

My suspicions are that the microphone jack/shutter release feature is a deliberate attempt by Hasselblad to solve the lack of a cable release. I cannot for one moment believe that it is purely incidental (although knowing the plumbing idiosyncracies in my old house, you never know!).

I'm wondering whether this is a firmware feature that might have been recently introduced (but not announced) rather than perhaps an original hardware innovation that was abandoned but not removed.

Is anyone out there brave enough to backdate their X1D firmware to the original code (or certainly one a year or so back) to see whether the microphone jack still doubles as a shutter release?

Just something to think about.

(Modified - Added photo of my new 40 year old X1D cable release!)
Alex Jiang

Instagram

fotophil

Thanks for verifying that the remote release supports the stage 2 shutter release. Are you running the latest firmware in your X1D?

I wonder what happens when the X1D is the default configuration with both stage 1 and stage 2 actions on the shutter button? In other words when the X1D is in the default AF mode what is the effect of the remote release? Does it try to first AF with the first push and require a second push to release the shutter?

I ordered by E-parts yesterday but I suspect many other X1D owners have the same.

PeterL

I am running 1.21 version, I believe it is the last one.
In autofocus mode it will focus the lens first and than fire. No need to press it twice.

fotophil

Another thanks to you Peter for verifying that the remote release supports both MF and AF modes. I wonder if your Hasselblad Dealer Status can put you in more direct contact with the real technical experts at the Hasselblad Factory rather than the lower level "know nothing" folks that we X1D Users have to content with?

Iskander

Hi Peter, what about a short video that shows the working cable?

regards
Michael

PeterL

Hi Michael.
There is no need for video. Connect the 2 cables and plug in 3.5mm end to audio port in X1D.  Finished. Happy shooting.
Peter

fotophil

Peter has indicated his successful use of the wired remote release has been with the 1.21 firmware.  I would suggest checking with him before attempting to use the release with older firmware.

fotophil

Hi Peter

The X1D has two 3.5mm jacks. Am I correct that it is the audio Input jack (for microphone) that you used for the remote release cable and NOT the audio output jack (headphones)?  Please advise

Thanks

PeterL

Microphone input socket (top one).

fotophil

IT WORKS!!!

I received my DIY Remote Release Kit and it works just as Peter4 said it would. I have no idea if the "Microphone" Jack actually supports a mic but it certainly supports the remote shutter release function. Currently there is an unestabished rumor that the X1D Mic Jack was actually designed by Hasselblad to serve as a remote shutter release. As a X1D owner I encourage Hasselblad to clarify the issue. The remote release works fine and Hasselblad has arranged to make us look like fools! The "hidden remote shutter release" has been discovered and Hasselblad's Integrity has been damaged in my book. Hopefully they will explain their position.

hcubell

I agree that it is incumbent on Hasselblad to provide some guidance here. I also really hope that Hasselblad does not raise a false red flag about the use of this device just because they never told us about it in the first place and that makes them look bad. It will be FAR worse in the long run if they say the use of the MIC jack is risky if it's not.

fotophil

The remote release that Peter brought us is a standard push button remote switch whose action exactly duplicates the two stage action of the X1D shutter release. Since this is also the behavior of remote releases on Canons, Pentax Canon, etc., it seems that the X1D also has a standard design remote release. There is no magic or luck involved because I think at some point (maybe even the beginning) Hasselblad sensibly designed the X1D such the "mic" jack serves as a remote shutter release jack in a similar manner that most other camera systems employ remote shutter releases.

If this is true the big question is why Hasselblad has choose to hide the remote release capability despite a strong desire from the users for such capability? Was it lack of weatherproof sealing due the wire attachment? Was it because the external wire interfered with the camera aesthetics? Was it because someone at Hasselblad thought that the X1D users were stupid thinking that a remote release was important?

When will Hasselblad provide the facts regarding the remote shutter release. Does the factory approve, disapprove or not care? Is the warranty affected by the use of the release? Is the service life of the X1D adversely affected?  It is obvious that the weathersealing is compromised when the gasketed door no longer protects the jack so the remote release should not be used in the rain. It is time for Hasselblad to do some explaining.

esslingen

Hello,
David Jung proposes this on Fan Page - Hasselblad X1D User Group:

Solved Hasselbld cable-release for H-System with audioadapter 3.5 male - 2.5 female jack.....
https://www.hasselblad.com/h-system-accesso.../release-cord-h/

watch video in:
https://www.facebook.com/DavidJosefJung81/videos/10218190510020411/?t=5

BradP

Hi Eslingen — the first link doesn't work and the second seems to require a Facebook login.  Could you please try posting the first link again?

I still haven't seen any statement from Hasselblad on whether this cable release solution may cause damage or invalidate warrantees.  Has anyone seen such a statement?  I have come to expect they are better at communicating on important issues like this in this forum or elsewhere. 

In the absence of that I guess I will be waiting a few more weeks before I become brave enough to try it myself.  It is a super important feature to have.  It was the #1 requested firmware upgrade by forum members here. http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=bc37e6da775d47db51ea5e5a7e6f61c1&topic=5738.15

PeterL

Brad, I do not believe there is a reason to worry. I am using that gizmo for 2 weeks now, no problem. Have it connected to my Seitz VR Drive and this thinks is firing the X1D non stop. And it works perfectly with HDR as well.
If you are waiting for OK from Hasselblad, I do not think it will come, as the release cable is not their tested design. From the response se I got there are now plenty of happy X1D users with this release cable.
In case you decide to try it, attached find my suppliers... And there is no ulterior motive on my part, just to make sure Hassy users are Happy campers!
Have a great day, Peter