Practice Poll. Not the Real Poll. Please Read, Vote and Comment Before Finalized

Previous topic - Next topic

BradP

This is a practice poll active only for 7 days.  Please comment with suggestions on how the poll could be improved.  I will post the final poll later, which will be active for 21 days.

Instructions

Vote for up to five favorite improvements. 

You may change your votes.   The Poll will be active for 21 days.

This is a poll I put together to hopefully help guide Hasselblad on improvements.  I am a Hasselblad X1D owner and user without any connection with Hasselblad other than that.  I imagine at least Nick is listening from under the volcano.  In putting it together, I am not hoping that Hasselblad becomes a Jack of all trades, but continues to be a master of a few of the more important, future looking ones. 

BradP

Interesting so far.  No comments on the poll questions?   Remember the intention with this post is to show what the poll will look like, and give everyone a chance to add or change questions.  The poll will be reposted at the end of the week and will remain for a longer time.  So you can (should) vote again later. 

retcheto

Poll looks great.

Isn't a teleconverter coming out with the 135mm? I thought they announced a 1.7x

rent

Hi Brad,

I took the liberty to group the entries by functional area as below (in no particular order). It'll improve readability and allow people to quickly find a feature they care about. Though I'm not sure if it's possible to present them in such a way with the forum software.

Hardware Related
Vertical Viewfinder Attachment (so pictures can be taken close to the ground)
Better Battery Life
Joystick (for next hardware version only)
Better EVF resolution (for next hardware version only)

Exposure Related
Live histogram (RAW based preferably)
Auto ISO in M Mode
Allow users to select minimum shutter speed when using auto ISO
Night Exposure longer than 1 hour

Focusing Related
Eye detection AF
Auto focus stacking/bracketing (like P1, Nikon and others)
Focusing - Auto zoom and focus peaking together
Faster continuous Autofocus
Automated Way to Set Hyperlocal Distance
Continuous auto focus tracking in video mode

Camera Operations
Activate/deactivate LCD Live View with something other than the shutter button
Fix exposure bracketing to work with auto timer and cable release
Add a Wired cable release
Adapter for remote shutter triggers (e.g., Gigapan)
Lock exposure when AF is achieved allowing recomposing without AE-L button0 (0%)Focal distance/depth of field display
Ability to reset AF to center using a shortcut button
Electronic first curtain shutter

Lens Support
Support for More HC Lenses
Develop a Teleconverter
Develop an XCD Tilt/Shift Lens
Develop 300mm or longer Lenses

RAW Files Related
Ability to shoot smaller RAW files (improving low light at expense of detail)
Lossless compressed RAW files
EXIF data editing (especially copyright)

Alex
Alex Jiang

Instagram

siddhaarta

Four observations:

1) "Allow users to select minimum shutter speed when using auto ISO": seems to me that this is already implemented with latest firmware
2) "Develop a Teleconverter": is already on the lens roadmap
3) I would add: Extension rings
4) "Faster continuous Autofocus": shouldn't that be: "Continuous autofocus", as there is no con. AF option at all at the moment

NickT

Great idea thanks Brad.

Just FYI folks there are more and more DJI people going the forum so this stuff does get seen!
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

flash

I'd like to see the option "make a 75-150mm zoom lens" and "make a wide angle zoom lens" as choices.

Gordon

BradP

Quote from: rent on June 07, 2018, 08:31:21 AM
Hi Brad,

I took the liberty to group the entries by functional area as below (in no particular order). It'll improve readability and allow people to quickly find a feature they care about. Though I'm not sure if it's possible to present them in such a way with the forum software.

Hi Alex!

Yeah I'm inclined to this organization.  I don't think I can use the headers in the poll, but grouping it this way makes sense.  It will be interesting to see the differences between the two polls as there could be some bias toward the top ones, but we'll see.  Thanks for all the thought!

Ralf Mueller

I'm missing additional video capabilities in this list:

• Ability to record in RAW format like the H6D does. Not sure if its possible with SD though
  • Ability to transfer the full raw video stream over HDMI to an external recorder
  • Record video to an external SSD disk over USB-C like the new Blackmagic Pocket 4K does
  • Higher frame rate than 25fps
  • at some point 4K

This should also be in the very interest of DJI since the X1D is so much lighter to carry with
a drone. Going forward, I'd love to see the X series add more features for cinematography.

My 2 cents,
Ralf

sog1927

I guess I'm the only one on the planet who wants a V-series adapter that will let me use the shutter in my CF lenses  ::)

BradP

I plan to include all requests that everyone makes here in this post in the real poll.  Being only a year long Hasselblad user, I'll leave it to this audience to come up with the right additions, modifications or deletions.  As a reminder, the real poll will start next week and continue for three weeks.  This is only a practice poll. 

I advise and hope for everyone reading this to comment.  We have quite a unique audience and special contributors in this forum.  We also have influential people reading it.  I suspect the results of the real poll are likely to at least somewhat influence the development of our shared platform. 

I am reminded of an interview with Leica's North American representative on a recent B&H podcast.  While unable to quote the wisdom exactly, he basically said that Leica has always been focused on doing only the fundamentals exceptionally well.  He said that dedication is perhaps the main reason for Leica's continued success over the years.  That resonates with me.  That has worked out well for Leica in their lenses, less certainly for their cameras and photographic platform.  That has worked out well for Hasselblad's photographic platform over time.

Having said all that, I'd propose reading the above two posts together to say that we should add an item to improve the speed of the electronic shutter.  Now, the electronic shutter takes about a third of a second.  A third of a second is much longer than a few leading manufacturers have achieved. Focus by Hasselblad in shortening that time might be a forward looking improvement in the platform and benefit all lenses — shots with XCDs, shots with other current and legacy Hasselblad lenses, and shots with third party lenses.  Should we add a request to improve the electronic shutter speed?

michael123

Hasselblad was quite secretive in their plans.
I don't know how much weight we have here with our 'wish list'
I mailed directly few times my issues and suggestions: response was prompt and polite, but nothing happened

I have X1D for almost a year, and I feel very lucky that I had no single issue with the upgrade and no single hardware fault.

Hopefully they will continue to improve X1D and add more lens (we need a travel zoom!) rather than throw X2D to the market at half a price. I am not rich, and the survey they sent me is kind of insulting.. they have now new owners, really not clear whats on their mind (i.e. roadmap)

BTW, what about their Phocus software? Do you use it?
We stick to Photoshop.

rent

Brad,

Am I correct to presume this poll is specifically for desired improvements to the X1D (as the poll title states)? If so, I think we are losing focus here. Anything hardware related should not be included - such as higher resolution EVF, joystick, improving E-shutter scan rate (my understanding this is a sensor limitation), etc.

Maybe we can have a separate poll for what everyone wants in an X2D and beyond.

Alex

Quote from: Brad Paulson on June 08, 2018, 09:20:22 PM
I plan to include all requests that everyone makes here in this post in the real poll.  Being only a year long Hasselblad user, I'll leave it to this audience to come up with the right additions, modifications or deletions.  As a reminder, the real poll will start next week and continue for three weeks.  This is only a practice poll. 

I advise and hope for everyone reading this to comment.  We have quite a unique audience and special contributors in this forum.  We also have influential people reading it.  I suspect the results of the real poll are likely to at least somewhat influence the development of our shared platform. 

I am reminded of an interview with Leica's North American representative on a recent B&H podcast.  While unable to quote the wisdom exactly, he basically said that Leica has always been focused on doing only the fundamentals exceptionally well.  He said that dedication is perhaps the main reason for Leica's continued success over the years.  That resonates with me.  That has worked out well for Leica in their lenses, less certainly for their cameras and photographic platform.  That has worked out well for Hasselblad's photographic platform over time.

Having said all that, I'd propose reading the above two posts together to say that we should add an item to improve the speed of the electronic shutter.  Now, the electronic shutter takes about a third of a second.  A third of a second is much longer than a few leading manufacturers have achieved. Focus by Hasselblad in shortening that time might be a forward looking improvement in the platform and benefit all lenses — shots with XCDs, shots with other current and legacy Hasselblad lenses, and shots with third party lenses.  Should we add a request to improve the electronic shutter speed?
Alex Jiang

Instagram

BradP

Quote from: rent on June 09, 2018, 04:50:24 AM
Am I correct to presume this poll is specifically for desired improvements to the X1D (as the poll title states)? If so, I think we are losing focus here. Anything hardware related should not be included - such as higher resolution EVF, joystick, improving E-shutter scan rate (my understanding this is a sensor limitation), etc.

Maybe we can have a separate poll for what everyone wants in an X2D and beyond.

That is an excellent point.  A joystick for pretty sure will not be in the X1D, but may be in the X1D-100C, or whatever the next version of the camera will be called.  I don't know whether the scan rate of the X1D-50C can be improved by a firmware upgrade, but now that you mention it, maybe not and it makes sense that it could require a new sensor and may not be possible.   

How should that be handled?  There could be one or two polls.  My thoughts for the moment are to keep everything on one poll since we don't know exactly what firmware could improve and there may be some overlap.  We could break out the items that we suspect require new camera hardware at the end.  In that case, we could identify those items in the instructions, and identify them as likely being improvements we likely will see only in version 2 of the camera, so vote knowing that. 

I plan to upgrade to the next generation of the camera and imagine many people do (only in my case, likely a year and a half later after the prices come down  ;)). 

Happy to actually do what most people seem to want on how that is handled.