Best NDs?

Previous topic - Next topic

retcheto

Has anyone compared the Breakthrough NDs to other NDs? I'm getting the Winecountry camera filter holder system and their NDs, but they're missing a 15 stop ND. I'm thinking of getting the Breakthrough, all the reviews say it has no color cast (or almost no cast). The Lee IRND look good too

Has anyone used the Winecountry camera Blackstone NDs? They use Schott ultra white glass which is what the Breakthrough NDs use, so I'm wondering how similar they are.

DaB

Haven't used Breakthrough myself, but those who have used them are very happy with them, Nisi are also getting well received. Lee's are very popular, they have been in the game longer than most, but I don't use them anymore as I found their NDs had a colour shift. I'm using Formatt Firecrest Ultras now, and I find them excellent, very neutral and zero impact on sharpness.

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/firecrest-ultra/firecrest-ultra-100x100

BillW

Quote from: DaB on April 20, 2018, 08:56:13 PM
Haven't used Breakthrough myself, but those who have used them are very happy with them, Nisi are also getting well received. Lee's are very popular, they have been in the game longer than most, but I don't use them anymore as I found their NDs had a colour shift. I'm using Formatt Firecrest Ultras now, and I find them excellent, very neutral and zero impact on sharpness.

I am also using Formatt Firecrest Ultras. I just got them recently.
Thanks
Bill

retcheto

Thanks just ordered one

hcubell

Quote from: BillW on April 21, 2018, 01:48:01 AM
Quote from: DaB on April 20, 2018, 08:56:13 PM

I am also using Formatt Firecrest Ultras. I just got them recently.

The Firecrest ND filters are excellent in terms of color shift. However, they are ridiculously delicate. I brought a set of them to Iceland and I was astonished at how many scratched appeared in the filters, even though I thought I had been quite careful in caring for them. I would look for alternatives like the Breakthrough Filters.

BradP

I use Singh Ray and Breakthrough.  I prefer Breakthrough, though it's close.  I find the Breakthroughs more neutral, which seems especially important with NDs in resolving color accurately.  Highly recommended.  Both are very well made. 

I also strongly prefer the threaded versions (with step ups) to the squares.  For me anyway, they are easier to use and more compact. 

retcheto

The Wine Country filter kit comes with special holders for the filters which look like they help protect the filter and slide right into their system, it looks useful in the field. Hopefully it helps me not smudge them or drop them. I'll be trying them out over the next couple of weeks

Imagecrazy

Thanks for this discussion.  I just bought into the Lee filters recently, but now rethinking to try the Winecountry and Breakthrough for ND.  Is the glass that much better?  Easier to use?  From what I see on the Winecountry website, looks very appealing.

BradP

I don't know anything about wine country.  But I've been very pleased with breakthrough.  The other thing I forgot to mention is to lookout for vignetting.  Breakthrough has very little of that. 

Google all the manufacturer names you are interested in together with "neutral density filters" and watch a few videos.  There are some excellent comparative reviews online.

Michael H. Cothran

Pertaining to all of the discussion concerning color cast with ND's -

I always take a shot of my X-rite Color Checker Passport prior to actually shooting whatever it is that I'm shooting. I do this each time the lighting changes, or whenever I place any kind of a filter over my lens. And I now also do it whenever I mount a third party lens on my X1D, so that the color bias of different brands of lenses will all match.

In post processing, one click of the eye dropper does the trick. After that, simply Sync all appropriate files, and everything matches. No more color bias.

BradP

Completely agree that a ColorChecker is the best practical solution for color accuracy and a great ND color bias neutralizer, with polarizers too.  My only added thought is why not skip that step sometimes, or as I do, neglect or disregard it often.

Here is an older video that explains some of the issues. https://youtu.be/E7-0eHoirW4.  It was worth viewing to me anyway, and with a little experience I do think Breakthrough might be worth considering even though it's newer and less known.

Not affiliated, just a fan. 

tcdeveau

I've been using the Lee little and big stoppers and there's a definite color cast, so these aren't ideal.  I shoot mainly black and white with long exposure so it's not a huge issue but I'd definitely avoid the little and big stoppers given there are much better alternatives on the market these days.

FWIW I think I read somewhere that the newer Lee IRND filters don't fit into the wine country holder system so that could be a consideration for some. 

Thanks for the info re: scratches with the Firecrest filters Howard. 

I'm probably going to look into the breakthrough filters myself when I get around to it.  I wrote to them once and they confirmed that their 100mm filters have a gasket on the back for potential light leakage issues, which is nice. 
-Todd