* SOLVED * Focus problem w/XCD 120M

Previous topic - Next topic

isarus

* SOLVED* Hello I'm getting frustrated and wonder if some one else have this problem: While using manual focusing and moving slightly the focus-ring and then, when near pristine focus the servo kicks in - and automatically move the lens totally out of focus. It is totally impossible to use manual focus with this lens. Anyone else?

Kindest
Kent

JST

Kent,

I have had problems with the 120 auto focus not working correctly. In my case, the auto focus indicated that it had focus, but the image was completely blurred. I have also experienced the 120 not finding focus. That said, your description is exactly the problem I experienced with my 45mm lens. When it happened I had to remove the battery and restart the camera to get it back in line. That particular issue has not happened since. Given that you have experienced this on the 120 and I on the 45 might indicate that it is a camera issue as opposed to a lens issue.

In my case, i was shooting with a Profoto Air Remote TTL-N attached to the top of the camera. I don't know that it was related to the issue as in one instance the Air Remote was on, and the other it was powered off. I will say that I had been shooting for over an hour when the issue started, and as I said I finely reached the point where I had to remove the battery. I should also note that during this same shoot I experienced a white screen on the EVF such that the camera was unusable. At that point I had to remove the battery.

I did reach out to Hasselblad US about the issues I experienced. They asked that I collect some additional data next time the event took place, and they did not know, off hand, what might have caused the problems. Not much help I am afraid.

John

isarus

Well, I guess I might have a slightly different problem. The focus-servo just goes banana on the 120 when I try to focus manually. None of my other lenses have that problem. In my case its easy to replicate - just use the focus ring and manually set focus in small steps - and suddenly the servo take command and sending the lens totally out of focus. I'll try to mount the lens and remove the battery and restart. Let you know.

isarus

BillW

Might be a stupid question but have you updated to the latest lens firmware that came out about two weeks ago?
Thanks
Bill

isarus

tedtrimmer

I share the difficulties of using this lens for both street and landscape photography.  My 70 year old eyes are not adding to the solution.  My self taught method of using this  fine lens has me pre-focusing the lens to an approximate distance after I have selected an IOS and an f/stop.  Doing the pre-planning above, I am often able to capture the photograph without the lens going into autofocus fit.  My normal walkabout kit is the 45mm and 90mm and a spare battery:  Hard to criticize these lenses.

isarus

Right. The lenses are razor sharp. My other lenses works as expected. It is just the 120 that behaves strange. It is not usable for manual focusing and I'm afraid it is broken or buggy in some way.

BillW

Quote from: isarus on April 08, 2018, 06:32:43 AM
Yes Bill, I did!
Ouch. This is a lens I really would like to get but I am skeptical seeing what others are enduring. I have the 45 and 90 which are performing great.
Thanks
Bill

hugenoot

Quote from: BillW on April 08, 2018, 12:18:43 PM
Quote from: isarus on April 08, 2018, 06:32:43 AM
Yes Bill, I did!
Ouch. This is a lens I really would like to get but I am skeptical seeing what others are enduring. I have the 45 and 90 which are performing great.

Is the AF setting on: Full? I had it ones when this setting was on Near...

BillW

One would think that if you are in manual focus that the servo for focusing would be turned off completely. I am guessing that there is an issue inside the lens firmware and it needs to go back to the mother ship for evaluation.
Thanks
Bill

isarus

Quote from: BillW on April 09, 2018, 01:08:13 AM
One would think that if you are in manual focus that the servo for focusing would be turned off completely. I am guessing that there is an issue inside the lens firmware and it needs to go back to the mother ship for evaluation.

Yes. I've tried all settings to no avail. Will open a ticket with HB. The XCD 30 and 45 both acts normally. Will let you know.

Kindest
Kent

Nick Jafferson

Hi Kent,
Does your problem been solved? I think maybe you should contact your local dealer directly for service. Believing they will help you with your problem.

Nick

isarus

Quote from: Nick Jafferson on April 10, 2018, 05:59:16 PM
Hi Kent,
Does your problem been solved? I think maybe you should contact your local dealer directly for service. Believing they will help you with your problem.

Nick

Yes I've opened a ticket with HB and will bring the lens to Stockholm tomorrow. They will send it to Gothenburg. So, bye, bye for a while.

Thank you Nick.

isarus

Just realised that HB just released FW 0.5.20 for the lenses. I currently have 0.5.16 and there is no ReadMe to the new firmware so I do not know whats fixed. I'll install the new FW now and let you all know......