Phocus Mobile as wireless shutter release - FAIL!

Previous topic - Next topic

rent

This is going to be a long rant. TL;DR: Phocus Mobile as a wireless shutter release is a big FAIL.

I tried X1D on an eMotimo Spectrum ST4 robotic head for some panoramic work over the weekend. Yes, I went in knowing I was looking for trouble. I could have run the whole shoot using my Canon gear with much ease. But what the heck, gotta try it.

Since there is no support to trigger the shutter by a third party device (the pano head supports Canon, Nikon, and Sony protocols only), I figured I could do it manually via Phocus Mobile when the head moved into each pan / tilt location.

I tell you, this was an exercise in vain.

First, I could never reliably connect via wifi. Half of the time Phocus Mobile spins its wheels trying to connect to the camera. I would try a combination of turning off/on wifi on the phone, forget/reconnect to the X1D network, turning off/on wifi on X1D, change between 2.4/5gHz frequency, and sometimes when I get lucky, it would connect. But I was never able to figure out which combination of these actions made it to work. This problem did appear more frequently when I had to briefly use another app on the phone, or after sleep / wake the phone. But in all, the wifi connection cannot be relied upon for serious work!

Second, there were times when Phocus Mobile appears to be working, but it's not really doing anything with the camera (and it's right next to the camera). Half-way through many shots I realized Phocus Mobile was making the clicking sound when I press the orange button, but no exposure was made on the camera! And it did not report any errors! My attempt at selfies at the end of the shoot was ruined by this as well, though I was standing about 10 ft (3 meters) in front of the camera. You'd think that's entirely within range of wifi.

Third, there were times when Phocus Mobile just plainly stopped working half way through the shoot. The app was frozen, no clicks, no nothing.

I realize I could tether a laptop to X1D for wired shutter release, but that's besides the point, and it was impractical to add a laptop to an already fairly complex set up in the wilderness. In any case, the point is, Phocus Mobile is a big FAIL in terms of being used productively as a wireless shutter release.

Dear Hasselblad: please make a USB-C wired shutter release. How difficult can it be?

Alex
Alex Jiang

Instagram

BradP

+1 that it would be great to have a wired cable release.   I don't know, but it seems like it should be an easy thing to make and is an obvious amenity to have alongside any good camera.  I tried mobile Phocus but prefer the 2 second delay which works OK, but I miss the cable release and ability to take pictures more quickly.  It would be good for timing and multiple exposure work. 

davidthescot

Totally agree that Phocus Mobile is an unreliably connected friend and that we realy really need a cable release.

MomentsForZen

What mobile devices are you folks using? It takes 2 to tango - WiFi reliability depends on both ends.

I am using an iPhone X with the X1D and it is completely reliable, and indeed a most pleasurable experience.

... MomentsForZen

BostonBoy

Ditto that. Maybe my expectations are low at this point, but I'm using Phocus Mobile on a later Modell iPad and it works remarkable reliable for me with very little delay.

rent

Hi @BostonBoy:

I'm interested! Could you let me know if Phocus Mobile remains connected to the camera after you use some other apps on your iPad? or briefly turning off / on, or lock / unlock the iPad?

These are the scenarios where I see most of the problems with Phocus Mobile running on my iPhone X (latest iOS and Phocus app versions).

Thanks!
Alex

Quote from: BostonBoy on March 16, 2018, 04:23:17 AM
Ditto that. Maybe my expectations are low at this point, but I'm using Phocus Mobile on a later Modell iPad and it works remarkable reliable for me with very little delay.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

MomentsForZen

Hi Alex.

The camera WiFi remains connected to my iPhone when I switch apps or lock the iPhone and then return. I am asked to select the device again, but it is connected.

Superstition rather than scientific evidence has it that I get best performance when I remember to join the X1D WiFi (i.e., disconnect from whatever other WiFi I am previously connected to) before I open the Phocus Mobile app.

... MometsForZen

JST

I have had some issues with the iPhone but did not follow the process you described. With a iPad Pro arriving tomorrow, I will give your process a try

John

BostonBoy

@ rent: I need to test some of your scenarios. I connect to the X1D WiFi network and use Phocus Mobile. I don't open other Apps (I have no connectivity anyway) and work with PM exclusively then. My screen lock timeouts are long. In essence I use it a dedicated tool / screen when working this way, and that seems to work rather well.

sog1927

I find that enabling WiFi on the camera really shortens battery life. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'd really prefer a wired release for most of the cases where I'd use the mobile app.

davidthescot

I am getting really frustrated with the problems associated with Phocus Mobile and the wireless connection with the camera.  I was doing some product shots on Saturday using my iPhone as a remote release.  Every couple of shots it would lose the wifi connection.  In the end I gave up and used the time delay on the camera.

Is there something I am missing here?  The IOS is up to date as is Phocus Mobile and the camera's firmware.

Wade Smith

Quote from: rent on March 14, 2018, 06:42:24 AM
This is going to be a long rant. TL;DR: Phocus Mobile as a wireless shutter release is a big FAIL.

I tried X1D on an eMotimo Spectrum ST4 robotic head for some panoramic work over the weekend. Yes, I went in knowing I was looking for trouble. I could have run the whole shoot using my Canon gear with much ease. But what the heck, gotta try it.

Since there is no support to trigger the shutter by a third party device (the pano head supports Canon, Nikon, and Sony protocols only), I figured I could do it manually via Phocus Mobile when the head moved into each pan / tilt location.

I tell you, this was an exercise in vain.

First, I could never reliably connect via wifi. Half of the time Phocus Mobile spins its wheels trying to connect to the camera. I would try a combination of turning off/on wifi on the phone, forget/reconnect to the X1D network, turning off/on wifi on X1D, change between 2.4/5gHz frequency, and sometimes when I get lucky, it would connect. But I was never able to figure out which combination of these actions made it to work. This problem did appear more frequently when I had to briefly use another app on the phone, or after sleep / wake the phone. But in all, the wifi connection cannot be relied upon for serious work!

Second, there were times when Phocus Mobile appears to be working, but it's not really doing anything with the camera (and it's right next to the camera). Half-way through many shots I realized Phocus Mobile was making the clicking sound when I press the orange button, but no exposure was made on the camera! And it did not report any errors! My attempt at selfies at the end of the shoot was ruined by this as well, though I was standing about 10 ft (3 meters) in front of the camera. You'd think that's entirely within range of wifi.

Third, there were times when Phocus Mobile just plainly stopped working half way through the shoot. The app was frozen, no clicks, no nothing.

I realize I could tether a laptop to X1D for wired shutter release, but that's besides the point, and it was impractical to add a laptop to an already fairly complex set up in the wilderness. In any case, the point is, Phocus Mobile is a big FAIL in terms of being used productively as a wireless shutter release.

Dear Hasselblad: please make a USB-C wired shutter release. How difficult can it be?

Alex

Dear Alex,

This is Wade from Hasselblad Support team. Thank you for choosing Hasselblad camera. We appreciate your feedback relating to Phocus Mobile and wired cable release. I have already collected your suggestions and requests, and forwarded them to R&D department. Please pay close attention to Hasselblad website for we will update all new information in official website.

Wade Smith

BradP

Good to see Hasselblad paying attention.  Following this post, it seems a lot of people have the same experience and if not a Phocus Mobile fix, or even separately and mayby better than that, a wired cable release seems an obvious accessory to be working on. 

As it stands now, the only reliable way to max out all that the sensor is capable of in many cases is to use the 2 second delay. And two seconds between shots is quite limiting.  Shooting people or wildlife, for example, can become almost purely an exercise in luck.  And even a full two seconds after touching the camera can leave some vibration even with a tripod.