Operating system

Previous topic - Next topic

NickT

Hi guys
I'm wanting to do a poll on what operating systems people are using, for mac I'll put system 9 (for a laugh) then 10.3 10.4 and 10.5. For PC I need some help, XP, Vista?
Can you PC guys give me a list of the most common ones?
Thanks in advance
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

alexkent

well, both can be split into 32bit and 64bit. you could then go as far as service packs... ?

XP, XP 64
Vista 32, Vista 64

grandguru

Some of us already have Windows 7, so far it looks good and Phocus runs faster under it.

gfkreplin

I just purchased a new Quad Core 2.67 with 12 gigs of Ram and Windows 7.  Compared to my new Mac Pro eight core, 2.26 with Snow Leopard, it rips!  Processing raw in phocus is about 20-30 percent faster on the PC.  As well, Photoshop stopped development of CS4 for a 64 bit system- so Snow Leopard does not really help that part of the equation. I was so impressed with the performance of the i7 processor with Windows 7, I ordered another PC for the studio - an eight core 3.2 with 24 gigs of ram.  I will need to bolt it to the floor if the benchmarks are correct. 

I love Mac and its interface.  Windows 7 is a little taxing to look at for hours on end.  But windows 7 is really really fast and seems to be as stable as Snow Leopard.  In fact, I have had fewer problems with drivers for my image print software on the PC. In fact, none.  Snow Leopard is another story.

Gordon Kreplin
Ascencion Photography
Dr. Camera

Alex Maxim

yes, I noticed a nice improvement in performance with Win7 x64 too

Mats E

Hi Nick,

Im a PC guy, using a DELL XPS 1210 laptop with 4 GB and Vista32 and a desktop with 8 GB and Vista64. Want to replace Vista wiith Win7 as soon as I can get hold of a professional version. Still none in the Philippines..... :-\

Mats
Mats

gfkreplin

As I understand it, the only difference between the pro and home is the virtual OS of XP for programs that are older. I have purchased the home version to run on bootcamp for my mac pro.  I will post a message about how well it interfaces with the network in my studio.
Dr. Camera

Alex Maxim