X1D, HC300 lens

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Spent a week in Florida at the Paynes Prairie Wildlife Preserve, near Gainesville. Spent most of the time with the HC 300 lens shooting birds and gators. Overall, I was very pleased with the resulting images, but more specifically with the ease of use. I found the Focus Peaking to be ideal, and was able to use my thumb or forefinger on the focusing ring to easily fine tune the shots, while tripod mounted. I have decided that I like the HC lenses better than the Zeiss lenses for ease of use on the X1D. Plus, with the XH adapter, all technical data is retained and displayed. I will continue to use my Zeiss 135 Makro Planar, but will not invest in any more Zeiss lenses. I had planned on a CF 150 lens to round out my "telephoto" group, but have now decided on an HC 150N lens, instead.
Anyway, I'm just getting started on the post processing of my new images, and wanted to share the first one with you. This is a female gator and one of her 15 new babies sunning on her back. This shot, as well as most of my "wildlife" images, is an extreme crop, as the 300, while getting within range of the animals, is still not nearly as effective as the longer lenses on a DSLR, especially with the cropped sensors. But fortunately, the 50 mpix sensor allows extreme cropping without IQ sacrifice.
PS - The vignetting is intentional, and created in post processing.

X1D
HC 300/f4.5 lens (with XH adapter)
Circular Polarizer
1/100 sec @ f8
ISO 100

MomentsForZen

Does the XH adapter restrict you to the electronic shutter? How have you gone with the delay / blackout period after pushing the shutter?

What were you using to adapt your V-series / C/Cf lenses?

... MomentsForZen

Michael H. Cothran

MomentsForZen - With the XH adapter, you can use the HC lens' built-in leaf shutter or the electronic shutter. Plus, all meta data is saved. But since I have the older HC version, I do not retain the AF capability. But, as I said, Focus Peaking makes for quick & accurate manual focus.

I use a Kipon adapter with my Zeiss CF lenses. It is nothing more than a coupling between lens & body, so there is no mechanical or electronic communication. You must use electronic shutter. Set the Zeiss lens to the chosen f-stop, fire away. And yes, I do retain Focus Peaking, which again, really helps.

MomentsForZen

Thanks, Michael. I really appreciate the sharing of your experience.

I am just beginning on the "adventure" of using my longer V-Series lenses (150mm and 250mm) via a FotodioX adapter with an X1D. I agree that the focus peaking is excellent. The blackout period and the rolling E-shutter, however, still get me more often than they should - I have to learn a new technique of holding still for a good second after initiating the exposure.

... MomentsForZen (Richard)

sog1927

This is one of many reasons why I really want a wire (usb?) release. One hopes that when Hasselblad releases their version of a V->X adapter that it will permit the use of the leag the shutter on C/CF/CFi/CFE lenses (as Ming Thein sort of hinted it might). This will certainly make it easier to use those lenses in a wider variety of circumstances. Handholding anything longer than the 250 will probably still be a "technique challenge" with a 50MP sensor, though, since the shutter will only go up to 1/500s.