Back Button Focusing

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

In trying to utilize the back button focus, it seems that I must keep the AF-D button depressed with my thumb, while I trip the shutter with my forefinger. Otherwise, the camera, of course, wants to re-focus AND re-meter.

Nikon has a way where once you back focus, you can let go with your thumb, and trip the shutter at anytime afterwards. This will ONLY trip the shutter, and not allow the camera to refocus.

Sadly, I don't see anyway to do this on the X1D. Is there a way??

rent

Set the camera to MF (manual focus) mode.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

Michael H. Cothran

Quote from: rent on February 05, 2018, 03:26:38 PM

Well that certainly would eliminate any issues or questions about using the back focus button, but in my inquiry here, it is the back focus button functionality I'd like to address, rather than avoiding it.

I would certainly suggest to Hasselblad, as a future firmware update, that the back focus button be programmed to give you the option, thru the menu, of "disconnecting" AF from the shutter button, as well as re-metering. In other words, like Nikon, where I can use the back focus button to focus on an AF point of my choice, release my thumb, allow the camera to become still, then press the shutter button, with or without the self timer set, and have it fire the shutter WITHOUT re-focusing OR re-metering.

Thinking further along, it seems that perhaps all I'm looking for is an AF-L button, which does not exist on the X1D. We have an AE-L button which can be pressed, locking in our exposure. So why not an AF-L button, where once pressed, will hold the focus point until the shutter is tripped?

JoeC

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on February 06, 2018, 02:46:33 AM

Well that certainly would eliminate any issues or questions about using the back focus button, but in my inquiry here, it is the back focus button functionality I'd like to address, rather than avoiding it.

I would certainly suggest to Hasselblad, as a future firmware update, that the back focus button be programmed to give you the option, thru the menu, of "disconnecting" AF from the shutter button, as well as re-metering. In other words, like Nikon, where I can use the back focus button to focus on an AF point of my choice, release my thumb, allow the camera to become still, then press the shutter button, with or without the self timer set, and have it fire the shutter WITHOUT re-focusing OR re-metering.

Thinking further along, it seems that perhaps all I'm looking for is an AF-L button, which does not exist on the X1D. We have an AE-L button which can be pressed, locking in our exposure. So why not an AF-L button, where once pressed, will hold the focus point until the shutter is tripped?

Michael, I use back-button focus on the X1D. I set the camera to MF (manual focus) mode as "rent" suggested. Then I use the AF-D button to focus. Once focused, the shutter release button does not initiate a re-focus. It works exactly as you're accustomed to with Nikon. Maybe I'm missing something.

Joe

Buddy

Joe is right, I also do that with X1D. Works same as with a Nikon. Don't know what is your problem.

davidthescot

Exactly how I use the camera.  Set it to manual focus and use the back button for focussing. Additionally I have set the DOF preview button to select the focus spot and the touch screen RHS for the actual selection.  Works like a charm.

rent

Hi Michael,

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything. Seriously, set the camera to MF mode and back button focus would work as you wanted. The MF mode essentially turns off AF on the shutter button, allowing you to use AF-D to initiate AF.

Alex

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on February 06, 2018, 02:46:33 AM

Alex Jiang

Instagram

Michael H. Cothran

rent - First my apologies to you, as I did think you were being a bit sarcastic. It never occurred to me that I could put the camera in Manual Focus mode, and still use the AF-D button.

rent, JoeC, Buddy, and davidthescot -Thanks to all of you for bringing this to light for me. This is exactly what I'd like to be able to do in the field. I can choose a focus point, use back focus, then, with the camera set to MF, trip the shutter independently. Awesome. Thanks guys.

Buddy

one more problem using H cameras seems to be solved....hurrah!

BillW

Thanks for this discussion, I found it helped me as well....!
Thanks
Bill

srainey

I wanted to say thank you to all! I had the same issue and I think it is counter intuitive to switch to MF when you're asking the camera to auto focus. Thanks again!

PatrickM

Caveat: AF-D is deactivated if one of the new XCD V lenses is used to switch to MF. Personally, I'd hope there'd be a firmware change to allow the user to choose. But unlikely.

SrMi

Quote from: PatrickM on November 26, 2023, 05:59:46 AM
Caveat: AF-D is deactivated if one of the new XCD V lenses is used to switch to MF. Personally, I'd hope there'd be a firmware change to allow the user to choose. But unlikely.
When engaging the MF via MF/AF clutch, all AF operation is disabled because the AF motor is disconnected. That is why I dislike MF clutches on Olympus m43 and Panasonic FF lenses. No firmware can fix that.
As you can switch to MF without engaging the clutch, BBF works.

MGrayson

Quote from: SrMi on November 26, 2023, 07:11:39 AM
Quote from: PatrickM on November 26, 2023, 05:59:46 AM
When engaging the MF via MF/AF clutch, all AF operation is disabled because the AF motor is disconnected. That is why I dislike MF clutches on Olympus m43 and Panasonic FF lenses. No firmware can fix that.
As you can switch to MF without engaging the clutch, BBF works.
When the MF clutch is not engaged, is manual focus still linear, or does the lens revert to speed-dependent focus by wire?