Macbooks

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMaldonado

I'm still using a Macbook Pro 2012 to shoot tethered with X1D. Now it is time to buy a new one. But with all this  Macbook, Macbook Air and Macbook Pros and the different processors and connections I'm a little confused on witch one is the minimum spec I can go for. I use a desktop to process the images, so I would like to get a Macbook just for tethering with X1D. Any one could tell what is the less expensive Macbook capable of tethering X1D  running Phocus? I guess any of the actual systems are more powerful than a 2012 Macbook Pro. Thanks!

davidthescot

Hi

I have given up using a Macbook tethered and now use an iPad pro over wifi.  Works very well - no wires and better portability. 

ChrisMaldonado

The iPad would be my dream, but what about battery life, the camera wifi does not burn the fuel quickly?

jstires00

Quote from: ChrisMaldonado on January 31, 2018, 01:32:28 PM
I'm still using a Macbook Pro 2012 to shoot tethered with X1D. Now it is time to buy a new one. But with all this  Macbook, Macbook Air and Macbook Pros and the different processors and connections I'm a little confused on witch one is the minimum spec I can go for. I use a desktop to process the images, so I would like to get a Macbook just for tethering with X1D. Any one could tell what is the less expensive Macbook capable of tethering X1D  running Phocus? I guess any of the actual systems are more powerful than a 2012 Macbook Pro. Thanks!
With a 6.5' $77 cord from B&H you can plug directly into both a new MBP and your new X1D, i.e., no dongles.

rent

Chris,

Any of the current generation MacBook Air, MacBook, or MacBook Pro would work if your requirement is simply something that can tether to X1D. The lowest price is $999 (probably lower street price) for a MacBook Air.

Note if you go with the 12" MacBook, you'd need a $80 dongle to make a USB port for you to tether to. I wouldn't go for the 12" MacBook for your purpose. It's expensive and requires dongle. I recommend you consider at least a 13" MacBook Pro with modestly upgraded RAM and SSD to somewhat future-proof your purchase.

Alex

Quote from: ChrisMaldonado on January 31, 2018, 01:32:28 PM
Alex Jiang

Instagram

rem

I have a 2013 MacBookPro and it works for tethering with the H6D100C perfect. But yes, the most time I use the iPad Pro wifi.
Pretty fantastic, the picture is in a part of a second on the screen. Batterylife no problem (H6D100C, maybe betterthen the X1D?).

ChrisMaldonado

Thank you all for the tips!