Does Anyone Know Who This Reviewer Is?

Previous topic - Next topic

michael123

Do you feel any need for 100mp? Where?

BradP

Quote from: michael123 on June 12, 2018, 07:49:40 AM

Very large prints, crops or to mitigate against noise (e.g. in shadows)

tcdeveau

Quote from: michael123 on June 12, 2018, 07:49:40 AM

For me personally, cropping.  Larger panos from single image crops without stitching is what I'm after.  More MP also gives more crop latitude in general. 

Is it a need? Not necessarily but I'm certainly looking forward to the next gen of 100mp 44x33mm sensors which will end up in the X1D successor.  This sensor has already hit the market with a Phase One industrial product and it's only a matter of time before Fuji and Hasselblad also follow suit, as well as Phase with non-industrial products. 

Realistically Sony also may not keep producing the current 50mp which the X1D uses anyway.  The X1D may still be relatively fresh but keep in mind the sensor it uses was released in cameras back in early 2014 or earlier (and was developed by Sony even earlier than that), and will most likely approach EOL from the production stand point soon if it hasn't already. 

Although I love my X1D, there is room for improvement, and the new 100mp chips will also have increased readout speed and other improvements which improve other aspects of the camera (such as EVF lag) beyond simply increased resolution.  Some firmware requests, such as a live histogram, Ming Thein has implied these features require a new imaging pipeline which presumably need new hardware.  A higher resolution EVF would be nice too.   

Another reason for Hasselblad to release a new model is that their competitor, Fuji, is widely rumored to. 

I agree they need to round out there lens lineup, and regardless of what happens with an X1D sensor, I'll be getting more lenses before upgrading my camera. 

michael123

100mp means X1D should be few times faster, and today it is not fast enough for 50mp.
Frankly, my wife is a professional still life photographer, so it is not really required.
Hopefully Hasselblad will the camera a real travel accessory.

sog1927

Quote from: michael123 on June 12, 2018, 04:03:31 PM
100mp means X1D should be few times faster, and today it is not fast enough for 50mp.
Frankly, my wife is a professional still life photographer, so it is not really required.
Hopefully Hasselblad will the camera a real travel accessory.

I'm actually okay with the speed of the X1D most of the time - but then I'm used to doing most of my shooting with a 503, so just getting the view back without having to wind something is impressive to me. More speed would be better, but the faster readout will also make the electronic shutter more generally usable, too.