H6D-400C Multishot announced

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Tethered usage:
Had issues with the Live View (using v3.3.5), would freeze/black view occasionally, whether it be USB 3 or 3.1. Powered/Non Powered. Disconnecting and starting it again seemed to fix it momentarily - but there was definitely something very demanding going on when quitting the the "faulty" live View (all fans going, jerky cursor movements). Moving over to a modern Mac Book Pro and the problems seemed to lessen & disappear.
Live focusing is critical & Autofocus is non starter (you're pretty much -40% resolve in comparison); I can see lens profiling becoming a common request on the wish list (as well as focus stacking: DoF is pretty shallow (focus positioning on the 3rd made a big difference in getting the corners in focus))

The 6xShot 400:
I haven't properly checked the file in linear DNG, but so far there's much less Highlight / Shadow Haloing around hard edges, a lot more control, very impressive.  One sure needs some higher resolving glass in front than the current run of HCs (they're really good, but this sensor combination is very demanding - a bit like that jump when the D800/E 1st came out): I'd be interested to see how BernardL's Rodenstock 90 & Rm3di make with this back.

If they can make a body that allows usage of 3rd party lenses (like the Rodie's), with an electronically controlled focus mechanism integrated into it - like the Arca Swiss R series, sensor plane focusing and sort out the niggles (especially with having to use LR or such with the 4s & 6s), I'd be happy to sign on the line (I do want much, but then so does the sensor ;D).

Nice one Hassie - be confident, follow it through and it'll kick ass!

NB oh yes and Android support so that we can USB tether it rather than the rather limiting Apple-Says-NoPad

Alex

Quote from: Alex on March 13, 2018, 07:06:10 AM
One sure needs some higher resolving glass in front than the current run of HCs (they're really good, but this sensor combination is very demanding - a bit like that jump when the D800/E 1st came out):

Saying this though I'm seeing increased detail as I opened up all the way to F5.6 on my HC120II (ran out of time to go any further), F8 loses a bit of finest detail on the tangential but not too major, F11 showed marked diffraction. As I said; these lenses are good if you find a good copy.

NickT

Quote from: mfagerburg on March 13, 2018, 02:06:28 AM
We just purchased the Hasselblad H6D-400c MS. Have set it up and I am trying to use it tethered to an older MacPro (2009) that only has USB 2. Works great for single shots, but crashes Phocus when I try a multi-shot. Does anyone else on the forum have one of these (my serial number is 29)? Wondering if I need to get a new Mac that has USB 3.
Try setting a longer delay between shots (say 20 seconds) to test if it's a USB bandwidth issue...
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Alex

Quote from: mfagerburg on March 13, 2018, 02:06:28 AM
We just purchased the Hasselblad H6D-400c MS. Have set it up and I am trying to use it tethered to an older MacPro (2009) that only has USB 2. Works great for single shots, but crashes Phocus when I try a multi-shot. Does anyone else on the forum have one of these (my serial number is 29)? Wondering if I need to get a new Mac that has USB 3.

Does the crash happen (about 15 seconds) after the last of the shots has been taken?
I'm presuming this is both with Multi & 6S yes?
There's a lot of processing that happens at the end of the sequence and this does put a strain on things - its worth giving the computer a clean out (temporary files and cache).
Make sure other programs aren't running and jostling for priority over resources.
Also maybe try testing an earlier version of Phocus (I'm presuming you've been using 3.3.5); since versions 3.1.x there's been a lot more demand put on certain processes to help speed up things, however if your computer doesn't have the resources it will cause crashes.
Btw does you model allow for an express port - you may well be able to make use of a powered USB 3 adaptor to see if the USB 2 bottle neck is causing Phocus to crash - I'm theorising though so not sure - this might be just shifting the bottleneck over onto the logic board.

Sorry I can't be off more help.

bernardl

I'd love to be able to try one of these on the Arca indeed. ;)

But I don't think I'll have the opportunity.

Cheers,
Bernard