X1D Sensor Dust Removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman1331

I just bought a HB VX mount adapter and tried several of my old V lenses on the X1D body. They fit smoothly and perfectly. However, during the process, I introduced some dust particles onto the X1D sensor glass. I used a manual blower and the original E-wipe from HB, and followed the X1D user manual instructions to clean the sensor, and still found a very small piece that I cannot get rid of on the top right corner of my photo (which is the actual bottom left position on the sensor). The dirt mark showed up on the photos taken with f-stop of 32, but disappeared on f 22 and below. I have reviewed most of the sensor cleaning recommendations in this forum, but still not certain or brave enough to use VDust Plus and the Green MXD-100 swabs for 30-33 mm sensor cleaning. Now there is a new Green MXD-100 ULTRA swabs which Visible Dust say will produce a static barrier on top of the glass to reduce future dust collection. I am not sure if this would cause potential damage to the sensor glass coating that HB has put in during manufacturing. Also. the Eclipse brand cleaning solution is much cheaper than the VDust Plus, and claimed to perform better and leaving no streak marks. Using a compressed can air to blow the X1D sensor may introduce new dust particles by blowing them off from the body cavity onto the glass above the sensor, or worst if dust is forced into the sensor itself underneath the glass. Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Mellan Wilde

vsbhk

If it shows only at f/32 I would not worry about it.

Iceman1331

Quote from: Mellan Wilde on April 19, 2019, 01:27:06 PM
maybe contact Hasselblad service team for CMOS cleaning?
https://www.hasselblad.com/support/repairs/
Hello Mellan, thx for the link. HB service indicates that "CCD / CMOS CLEANING
A CCD / CMOS cleaning includes a number of operations to ensure that the camera performance is in accordance with factory specifications – no matter the age of the camera. This is what we do:

Firstly, the IR-filter which protects the CCD / CMOS is removed. The position of the CCD / CMOS can then be measured and, if necessary, adjusted.

A focus calibration is followed by very careful cleaning of the CCD / CMOS with compressed air, cleaning fluid and tissues.

The unit is then mounted on a test bench. A test shot is made through an illuminated piece of opal glass mounted in the filter thread of the lens with the lens focus setting at infinity. The unprocessed RAW-file is inspected on a monitor to ensure that that there is no residue of grease, fluid or dust on the sensor.

A mounting seal is attached and another test shot is made and inspected. The IR-filter is now unwrapped, cleaned on both surfaces and mounted.

The camera then undergoes a full factory test to ensure that the camera still performs according to the factory specifications – no matter the age of the camera. If needed, extra calibrations will be done, or parts will be replaced to ensure correct performance. You will be contacted if the cost of such replacements makes the service charge exceed the current cost estimate limit."

Wonder what kind of cleaning fluid and tissues that HB mentions above that they use for the CMOS sensor cleaning?

Vieri

Hello Iceman,

I wouldn't use canned air - that is bound to introduce more dust than it removes. I had pretty good results with the VDust solutions & their medium format brushes, both in the orange and green versions. I use SmearAway first, and the regular VDust solution after, and that takes care of most dust.

Sending your camera to Hasselblad sounds like a good plan, but from the number of operations they do it also sounds like they will keep your camera for quite some time ;)

Overall, as mentioned by others, if it shows only above f/22 I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you know where the dust spot is and can easily clone it out if needed. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

Nigel Roberson

If its one dust bunny it takes 2 seconds to retouch.

hgtate

Canned air is fatal, for some reason it introduces other material from the can that stains the sensor. On the X1D the rear element of the lens is very much closer to the sensor than on a mirrored camera and as the dust spot only appears at f32 the spot of dust may actually be on the rear element of the lens.

BillW

I recently had a bad dust issue but found that it cleared up when I changed lens. The issue was the 21mm and not the sensor.
Thanks
Bill

Iceman1331

Quote from: Vieri on April 19, 2019, 07:05:23 PM
Hello Iceman,

I wouldn't use canned air - that is bound to introduce more dust than it removes. I had pretty good results with the VDust solutions & their medium format brushes, both in the orange and green versions. I use SmearAway first, and the regular VDust solution after, and that takes care of most dust.

Sending your camera to Hasselblad sounds like a good plan, but from the number of operations they do it also sounds like they will keep your camera for quite some time ;)

Overall, as mentioned by others, if it shows only above f/22 I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you know where the dust spot is and can easily clone it out if needed. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri

Hello Vieri, thank you for your good advice. Iceman1331

Vieri

Quote from: Iceman1331 on April 20, 2019, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: Vieri on April 19, 2019, 07:05:23 PM
Hello Iceman,

Best regards,

Vieri

Hello Vieri, thank you for your good advice. Iceman1331

You are very welcome Iceman, glad to be of help :) Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/