Hasselblad HC 300mm f/4.5

Previous topic - Next topic

TychoBrown

Has anyone tried the Hasselblad HC 300mm f/4.5 with the Hasselblad adapter on the X1D? If so what were your thoughts? 

hcubell

Yes. Excellent image quality with the H2 and an IQ 180.  I have done test shots with it with the X1D that look very good to me as well. It's big and heavy, so I am not hiking with it, but I will keep it in the back of my car for certain trips like to Tuscany where I need a lot of reach.

Michael H. Cothran

The lens plus XH adapter work fine. MF only. Here's an iPhone image of my set up. Followed by two images I just took with the 300. One full frame, and the other about a 100% crop.

Of all the Hassy lenses I have owned in 45 years, I find this HC 300 to be the "worst" of them all in terms of IQ. Try as I may, even with critical focusing, and attention to minimizing camera shake, I still cannot get a tack sharp image. The closeup below is as sharp as it gets. This was one out of five shots I took here.

hcubell

My experience with the HC 300mm lens is different, Michael. Here is a recent test I did with the X1D at f/16, a full frame and then a 100% crop. I focused on the clock in the middle of the frame, which was a good distance away. I have some others I will post as well.
The only adjustment I made to the raw file was to sharpen it using Focus Magic at a Radius of 2, Amount 100%.

hcubell

Another test image, full scene, a 100% center crop and a 100% corner crop.

TychoBrown

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and images. This is helpful. I'm thinking it's going to be a longer wait than I would like (if at all) for a native X1D long lens so I may end up with this one.

Hassilistic

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on November 30, 2017, 12:21:29 PM
Of all the Hassy lenses I have owned in 45 years, I find this HC 300 to be the "worst" of them all in terms of IQ. Try as I may, even with critical focusing, and attention to minimizing camera shake, I still cannot get a tack sharp image. The closeup below is as sharp as it gets. This was one out of five shots I took here.

It is a very unforgiving lens, No Image Stabilisation which is a hugh issue to anyone codependent on it. Heavy and Bulky.  I use sand bags to remove any vibration.  And lucky users of X1D no longer bothered with Mirror lens vibrations.
As for IQ issues, be sure not to focus to infinity, use focus targets, and apply tried and true methods like hyperfocal distance.  When using an H body, utilise a double tripod securing method (sold by several manufacturers); one to body and another for lens collar .

I rented this lens on a couple of occasions, and pressed to make the most of it, it is amazing what you can do and things you come up with, under pressure! But i used every trick in the book before giving it back.  It is even more trickier using an Extender with it.

Domip

jerome_m

Quote from: Hassilistic on December 04, 2017, 05:57:28 AM
I use sand bags to remove any vibration.

I use the mirror up function. Works like a charm.

Michael H. Cothran

Thank you all for (unintentionally) corroborating my low opinion of this lens. The images that all of you are posting are no different than what I get with my own HC 300. Which is to say - decent & useable, but under no circumstances, to be anywhere near what I consider to be critically or tack sharp. Out in the field, the HC 300 doesn't hold a candle to the Nikon & Canon long lenses that many of my photo friends use for birding. This is my own experienced opinion. You are certainly entitled to your own.

On a personal note, I've owned and used Hasselblads continuously since February, 1972. Hasselblad has always been my camera of choice, and will continue to be so for the rest of my career. I've owned most Zeiss & Fuji lenses at one time or another, and currently own all three XCD lenses. None have ever let me down. As such, I stand by my conviction that my own HC 300, as well as other HC 300 lenses, based on posted images I've seen, convince me that this lens does not have the typical top-drawer performance of other Hasselblad lenses.

davidthescot

I took this lens with me on a trip to Iceland a few years ago.  Without any form of image stabilisation hand holding was out of the question but the combination of a sturdy tripod, mirror lockup and the Really Right Stuff long lens support package did a reasonable job.

The attached image was taken from a long way away and is reasonably sharp IMO (but that might just be my poor eyesight).  Not a great pic but I did and do like this lens.  These are just small parts of the whole image

jerome_m

Quote from: davidthescot on December 12, 2017, 03:42:04 AM
The attached image was taken from a long way away and is reasonably sharp IMO (but that might just be my poor eyesight).

The reason why the enlarging of that image looks a bit funny is not the lens but the distortion of the air between the lens and the subject. Just saying.

Hassilistic

Quote from: davidthescot on December 12, 2017, 03:42:04 AM
I took this lens with me on a trip to Iceland a few years ago.  Without any form of image stabilisation hand holding was out of the question but the combination of a sturdy tripod, mirror lockup and the Really Right Stuff long lens support package did a reasonable job.

The attached image was taken from a long way away and is reasonably sharp IMO (but that might just be my poor eyesight).  Not a great pic but I did and do like this lens.  These are just small parts of the whole image
Beautiful image and sharp indeed.  Was that a stitch?

The zoom down over people walking is for demonstration I am sure as it is ridiculously cropped beyond acceptable limits, and will never take place in daily usage/output applications. 

As for sharping techniques amongst users, and how far one can push, and what methods one can apply, that is a whole different story altogether.  For example my workflow involves: I use 3 sharpening tool Applications +  5-7 sharpening improvement methods + final sharpening for type of output and how large.

Which is why, what may not have worked for one, does not necessarily apply to all.  When critical sharpness is a prerequisite, I turn to my 300mm schneider on a Linhof lens board mounted on a Technical Camera, with my CDD Digital Back pixel size of 6ยต, there is absolutely no better match.  However, if adequate sharpness is required (which is  always btw a secondary objective with certain applications and topics) then the convenience of the HC lens if of course a natural choice.