"Defective" Lens Shades for XCD Lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

hcubell

The lens shade that came with my 90mm XCD lens did not fit properly on the lens and I wound up stripping the screws on the shade. I sent it in to Hasselblad Service and they refused to replace the lens shade on warranty, insisting that I had improperly attached the shade to the lens. I had to pay $150 to replace the lens shade. Now, I have just taken delivery of the new XCD 120mm Macro lens. $4400! Guess what: the lens shade will not slide smoothly on to the lens. It won't turn clockwise on the lens barrel, and if you try to force, it will get stuck and you have to force it off. Just a matter of time before this lens shade fails as well. Has anyone noticed similar issue with their lens shades?

tcdeveau

The shades on my lenses (30, 45, 90) are pretty stiff too and take some effort to get on/off. 

siddhaarta

Yes I have the same problem (better had, because I returned the lens), nearly impossible to put on (and then off) the shade on the 120mm Macro. And if you apply force too often, there probably  will be paint damages on the lens.

hcubell

I think I would wind up with worse than paint damage. I damaged the lens hood on my 90mm XCD lens and Hasselblad insisted it was my fault and charged me $150 to replace the hood. The obvious conclusion here is that the QC is poor...loose manufacturing tolerances. Unacceptable with a camera body and lenses at these prices.

siddhaarta

Funny detail: the lens hood for the 210mm HC works well with the 120mm macro ... and it has a better mechanism.

BradP

Quote from: hcubell on December 15, 2017, 04:04:24 PM
The lens shade that came with my 90mm XCD lens did not fit properly on the lens and I wound up stripping the screws on the shade. I sent it in to Hasselblad Service and they refused to replace the lens shade on warranty, insisting that I had improperly attached the shade to the lens. I had to pay $150 to replace the lens shade. Now, I have just taken delivery of the new XCD 120mm Macro lens. $4400! Guess what: the lens shade will not slide smoothly on to the lens. It won't turn clockwise on the lens barrel, and if you try to force, it will get stuck and you have to force it off. Just a matter of time before this lens shade fails as well. Has anyone noticed similar issue with their lens shades?

I had the same exact problem at first with my XCD 120mm hood. At first it seemed like it wouldn't go on at all.  Then I tried a bit of force (more than I was comfortable with), but not enough to break it.  Then, somewhat more carefully taking it off and on about 10 times some of the grooves seemed either to smooth out or loosen up.  Although definitely still very tight, it seems workable.  I also tried my 30mm hood and it seemed to fit normally so in my case anyway the issue is likely the hood.

I'll keep you in mind if I have further probs but for now I suspect I won't have a problem.  Just another data point for you, and given these experiences it's something H might want to take note of, and it seems maybe good customer service if you or others having this problem and breaking something should get a free replacement until whatever it is gets fixed.

DBF

It is no good idea to use force on any photo-equipment. If it doesn`t fit smooth - bring it back to the dealer and ask for replacement.

Tom Akin

Had this issue with one of the 90s I returned, the other one was so loose it would constantly rattle.

warnica

The thread on the lens hoods appears to be glued on. With use, it comes partly unglued, and then the problems started for me...

JST

I have the 45mm lens and initially I had managed to get the lens hood cross threaded. In looking at the lens and hood I realized that the lens has a white mark on the top front edge and the lens hood has two arrows. The arrow point that points towards the camera (as you are putting the lens hood on) should be lined up with the white mark on the lens. When lined up, you can move the lens hood on to the lens and all the slots align. Turning it clockwise is smooth and it clicks right into place.

hcubell

Quote from: siddhaarta on December 16, 2017, 03:33:10 PM
Funny detail: the lens hood for the 210mm HC works well with the 120mm macro ... and it has a better mechanism.

Nice suggestion! My HC 210 lens hood also fits much better. It appears to have a more robust construction.

JoeC

I just started playing with my XCD 120mm lens today and found, like some of you, that the hood is insanely tight to mount and remove. In fact, I had to mount the lens to the camera in order to get sufficient grip to remove the hood. With use, the joint will likely loosen. But for now, I'll only mount the hood when it's absolutely necessary and do it very carefully. None of my other XCD lenses have this issue. I'll try the HC 210mm hood to see if it fits better.

Joe