Theoria Apophasis really bashes the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

david distefano

is he a fan of dr. fred hoyle and the steady state universe.

going to yosemite wednesday to see rarely seen ansel adams prints. i will bring photo gear but since i live close to yosemite, trip with my wife will be more for fun than photo excursion. a little off topic but ansel has lately had his share of bashers. again, if a photographer's work doesn't strike you, don't look at their work. bashing just shows a small mind.

sog1927

Well, in a nutshell (pun intended) he rejects the entirety of quantum mechanics (and therefore Einstein's breakthrough 1905 paper on the photoelectric effect which led to it) because he has a ham radio license and therefore "knows how electromagnetism works". He has a couple of screeds out there about how Einstein was a "moron" (and worse) for writing the paper, although he conveniently offers no alternative explanations for the photoelectric effect (or why the "ultraviolet catastrophe" doesn't occur for that matter). He doesn't like relativity much, either. ;-)

jwillson

While he gets a lot right and is quite knowledgeable about the technical sides of photography (as long as you avoid the foundational physics pieces), he goes to extremes for effect.  A camera is either "amazing" and "the bee's knees" or it's a "turd".  Nothing in between.  The X1D is a case in point.  A few of the items he points out in his review are correct, a few have been resolved with firmware updates, and one or two are just plane wrong.  For example, he states that the shutter lag is horrible since he interprets the third "click" as the end of the exposure on the X1D's leaf shutter, not the second "click." 

Overall, he's occasionally entertaining but usually too extreme--in both directions.  His opinions, at least, are consistent.  Do avoid him though on anything having to do with quantum mechanics, electromagnetic waves, or magnetism.  On these topics he is an absolute crank spouting gobbledygook that doesn't even make sense.