Getting a new lens: HC 50-110?

Previous topic - Next topic

nainmaslun

Hi everyone

Since I have my H5D-40 i've been struggling with the system because at the beginning the sensor died (just like that), and I had to send the camera to repair (warranty thank you), and they fixed some other issues as well. Now I've been struggling with a "no sync" malfunction that the camera had (I thought), that ended up being one of my lenses, the HC 100mm. After comparing and testing the HC 100mm and the HC 35mm that I have, I realized that the 100mm has a problem with diaphragm. So I have to send it again, and Im kind of tired of this feeling, being afraid of being using the camera because it might not work as it should. SO, here I am asking to you guys what's best for me. (I think im going to post this lens thing with all the info in the 'help' board).

I shoot mostly advertising and fashion, which means that the 80% of my work is under controlled environment. And what I like to do as personal work it's landscape photography. I have 2 lenses, the HC 35mm and the HC 100mm (that I have to send to repair). And now im looking for a new lens 'for work'. I feel that the HC 50-110 it would be like the Canon EF 24-70mm which is very versatile. Also, whats the difference between this 50-110 and the 35-90?. They have a couple thousand dollars of difference, a whole exposure stop and also they are both very heavy. Any other ideas? Prime lenses?

I will appreciate if you can guide on this. Thanks!

BTW: Here's my IG account, so you see my work: @nainmaslun

Dustbak

Funny... the sensor in my H5D40 died as well. Just like that from one moment to another. Got it repaired under warranty as well. After the repair the camera was rock solid and better than ever. Anyhow, I have been using HB for the last 12 years and have only encountered a few issues over the years. OTOH, my Nikons never died on me and they are much easier to replace... Even so, I have always preferred using the HB. I shoot advertising mostly.

Both the 50-110 as well as the 35-90 are excellent lenses. The 35-90 is a HCD lens which means it might not be the best choice when using with a larger sensor (eg. the 100 or 60mpx). Since you use it with a smaller sensor that is not an issue for you. I use both lenses, I even used the 35-90 on the 60. I did crop the edges in that case.

When using the 40, I would personally prefer the 35-90. I think my 50-110 is overall slightly sharper than my 35-90 but that is hardly noticable. They are basically on par with each other. The 50-110 is much wider though making the 35-90 much nicer to use handhold.

I found on my H5D40, I liked the fact I could go to 35mm with the 35-90.

These lenses are great work horses, they simply get the job done for you. I you shoot commercially, I think you should have at least one of them. If only for those occasions that you need a certain perspective and there is no prime that covers your needs.

BTW, the HC35 I find the weakest lens of the bunch. I always preferred using the 35-90 over that one.

I hope this is of help to you. Unfortunately much of these things are very personal. Things that work for you might be totally different for you.

Michael H. Cothran

First, I think the 35-90 is more in line with a DLSR 24-70. I've used the 35-90 for the vast majority of my landscape & nature photography. I did make a custom lens support from RRS pieces to support the lens while shooting. No complaints at all with the image quality, but I've had to have the AF mechanism repaired 4-5 times in its life. In fact, it is currently in Sweden again for the same problem. Awaiting yet another estimate.

That said, I think the difference between the 35-90 & 50-110 would be whether you prefer a pinch more spread on the wide side or a pinch more extension on the tele side.