GPS disaster in Snake Valley

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Borgström

Yesterday shooting in Snake Valley, Skinnskatteberg, Sweden there wasn´t any GPS module attached to the camera coming out of the woods. As there is NO way to secure the module to the hot shoe except perhaps epoxy glue the module had just slipped off and was lost in the lush vegetation. I guess a better construction - perhaps internalisation of the GPS ad modum Leica SL (working fine) would have been prudent.

isarus

Sorry to hear that Eric. My GPS did slip of at several occasions and from now on I'm using a bit of gaffa (silvertejp).

Eric Borgström

Perhaps Hasselblad should add Sugru or Gaffa tape in the cute box the GPS unit arrives in. But I am sure there are better engineers in Göteborg.
I wonder If they sell replacement unikts. My first came by mail after registration.
/Eric

docmoore

Another option is to add a set screw to the side of the hot shoe ... with a small screw to add tension when needed.

Neimad

I had the same issue few times. The GPS was falling especially when I was taking my camera out of the bag. I almost lost it recently because of that.

hcubell

I knew this would be an issue as soon as I received the GPS module. I think Hasselblad opted for an aesthetically seamless design that ignored the need for a secure connection. A set screw would be ideal, but I would settle at this point for some way of snugging up the hot shoe connection. Right now, there is virtually no resistance to the module sliding in or out of the hot shoe. I have the same issue with the plastic protective piece that covers the hot shoe, but at least that's only a cheap plastic part.