play/looseness in HTS 1.5

Previous topic - Next topic

deardorff8x10

I just received a used HTS 1.5 from an online dealer.  There seems to be some play in the front standard the lens attaches to such that when it is zeroed and not rotated, the lens would move slightly like a tilt.  Movement is maybe about 1 degree. Another way of seeing this is that if you look at the side with the tilt indicator, there is the tube for rise/fall and just to the right of the tube where the two standards come together, there is a slight gap.  Moving the standard changes the gap -- seems like it should be tight and not all movement.

Feels to me like there should be no play, but I thought I would check in here before sending it back. 

Thanks for any help someone could provide.

NickT

My HTS is really tight so yours has an issue, I don't have mine in front of me but is there anything you can tighten up?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

hvk

There are screws in the tilt mechanism that can come loose.  On my HTS the lens could be tilted up quite a lot with the mechanism tightened and you could feel play in the mechanism. My dealer applied loctite and tightened the screws a year ago and the problem hasn't reappeared.

/Henrik

deardorff8x10

Thanks for everyone's help.  Indeed some screws were loose, but I sent it back, as they have another in stock -- hopefully good.