Triggering remote strobes with H3D's built-in flash?

Previous topic - Next topic

fiatlux

I have a couple of Nikon SB800 flashes which I used in a lightweight off-camera multi-flash setup with my Nikons.

I was wondering whether I could use them successfully with my H3D-39, wirelessly triggered by the built-in flash.

I understand the built-in flash only works in TTL exposure mode but I'm not sure if it emits any "pre-flash" which could fool the Nikon remote strobes.

Assuming it does not, I could see the following two options working:

• The camera is left to auto-exposure, and the SB800 are set in SU-4 mode, where they start and stop in sync with the built-in flash. Ambiant light and flash exposure compensation could be used to alter the balance.
  • The camera and remote flashes are set to manuel settings. The built-in flash exposure compensation is set all the way down (-3EV) to minimise impact on the exposure but still trigger the remote flashes.

Did anybody use a similar setup? Would H3D's flash measurement mode work with option 2? It does not look like it can be used with the built-in flash...

Miller

I think I have done this a couple of times (2nd option, first will not work. SU-4 mode is pure slave mode). Why not try to be certain? If there is a timing issue with built-in flash, buy a cheap IR trigger. The SB800 will  trigger in SU4 mode.
I know I have triggered studio flashes in slave mode with the built-in flash, without problems.

fiatlux

Quote from: Miller on September 26, 2017, 11:36:47 PM
I think I have done this a couple of times (2nd option, first will not work. SU-4 mode is pure slave mode).

Maybe I'm confusing with the actual SU-4 receiver which I used in my film-days with SB24s. It was starting AND stopping slave flashes just by monitoring light coming from the main on-camera flash. It would even work across systems: SU-4 and Nikon SBs could be slaved to Canon, Pentax... any flash-equipped cameras. The trouble was that this neat little device was introduced at about the same time as cameras started using pre-flashes to tune automatic flash exposure, which ruined the operation of the SU-4.

Miller

Or maybe you are right. From the SB800 manual:
"SU-4 type wireless multiple flash can be performed in two ways: (1) In the A (auto) mode, in which the wireless remote flash units start and stop firing in sync with the master Speedlight, and (2) in the M (manual) mode, in which the wireless remote flash units only start firing in sync with the master Speedlight".