When NOT to Use Electronic Shutter?

Previous topic - Next topic

BradP

Fantastic news that Hasselblad is giving us meaningful new functionality through this firmware update.  Bravo Hasselblad!

I am trying to reduce to simple, safe and reliable rules that can be committed to memory when manual shutter would be preferred to electronic shutter.  Critique/clarification is welcome. 

Always use electronic shutter unless a scene has the following:
          * motion or panning
          * flash
          * non filament artificial light (i.e., LED, flourescent, neon)
          * when bit depth is necessary

The last bullet, when bit depth is needed, is more an important question than a rule for me.  Some manufacturers when implementing electronic shutter capabilities have sacrificed bit depth (e.g., 10 or 12 bit color instead of 14) in favor of readout speed.  Does anyone know what Hasselblad's approach is?   This can be important when compressing high dynamic range images or heavily manipulating files in post (as I often do). 

Also, for LED/fluorescent/neon, there are exceptions people have come up with based on shutter speed and electric supply frequency that someone more detail minded than me may want to elucidate.  For me, I'd rather just switch to manual than memorize those!

Ario

I will never use the electronic shutter unless it is really necessary i.e. :
-I want to use adapted lens
-I need to be as silent as possible

BradP

I'm.just now fully appreciating that the scan time is 300ms or 3/10ths a second from one side of the frame to the other  Ario, you may have stated a more practical set of rules, particularly for handheld shots.

asfeir

I just checked ES pictures with Raw Digger. They are 14 bits, Raw digger shows histograms with 64,000 levels of R, G and B.