X1D Flash Oprions Other than those Listed as Compatible

Previous topic - Next topic

BradP

What is your experience with flash systems on the X1D other than those officially listed in the manual?  Do they work reliably in manual mode and/or TTL?  Wireless would be particularly interesting. 

The X1D manual lists the following Nikon flash units as compatible with the X1D:  SB300, SB500, SB700, SB900, SB910.  Several other posts have mentioned additional systems that seem to work with varying degrees of success.

I ask because I have a Nissin for Sony air commander based system I hope to use with the X1D, and have just ordered a Nikon compatible Nissin controller hoping I can use that and my flashes with the X1D.  I will post my results here, but am wondering what other options may exist.  And others of course may be interested.   

Here are other posts I've found nearly on topic, none I have found outside of this forum. 

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=4828.msg20013#msg20013
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=4945.msg20845#msg20845
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=4883.msg20279#msg20279

BradP

OK, possible good news on flash options.  I received a wireless Nissin Air 1 Commander (for Nikon), which I had ordered to see if it would work with my X1D to drive Nissin Di700A flashes.  I had previously purchased Nissin flashes for a Sony system.  The Di700A flash unit is otherwise competitive with the Nikon SB-700 spec-wise, and with the Air 1 Commander the system is wirelesss.   So I was hopeful it would work out. 

So far, the Nissin system seems to work well in both in manual and TTL flash modes.  Buy at your own risk as I have, but I'm happy for now I tried this out and I'm hopeful it will continue to function as it has after an hour of testing tonight. 

At first I was worried a bit because in A mode the camera shutter speed seemed to be consistently operating off of ambient light (it's nighttime) and not firing in TTL in conjunction with the flash.   But I picked up the manual and it said in A and S modes, the camera may require the use of a tripod.  The manual further said that in P mode (which I never really use), the shutter speed will be 1/60 or greater enabling handheld shots. Curiously, the manual said nothing about M mode.  So of course I had to try M mode out.  I was happy to see I was able to set aperture, ISO and shutter speed, turn on or off autofocus, and the flash would fire in TTL compensating for all those adjustments I made.  That will work very well for me. 

Again, this is just preliminary.  I haven't done enough testing to be sure.  But if you're willing to take a little risk, this might prove to be a decent wireless flash system for others too even though it's not listed as compatible in the manual. 

neilb

Hi Brad, I'm hoping that the Elinchrom ELB flash with Action head will be a good match for the X1D. Two are on order, so I guess I won't have too long to wait to see. It won't be TTL, but will operate at some decent sync speeds I would think.