New Mac book Pro and Phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roadnight

Quote from: Dustbak on December 04, 2010, 05:13:38 AM
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce

I see it is even closer to 1600USD.

I took the 240Gb for my MacPro (OS & Applications) and a 256Gb for my MBP (Crucial).
Thanks... if one had money to burn one would install 2 of these in a RAID in the optical drive of a Mac Pro, (with a RAID of 4 discs in the drive bays!)
Dick
H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3

Phil G

Thanks, but ...do I really want to pay £400 to reduce my hard disc capacity?
Dick
[/quote]

The reason for using SSD is the read/write speed hit and less heat generated and probable longer battery life ? and more robust ? if you want capacity use externals as 'Dustbak' says 240GB should be more than adequate  

If you have been using the MBP for any time and have installed applications such as Phocus, Photoshop, Aperture etc you need to Clone to write a bootable system drive with all the existing apps you are using on your existing Sys HDD

Booting from DVD is ok but you still need to create a system drive and install any apps it's much quicker to Clone  and you get a  deep defrag

'Dustbak'  thanks for the advice that the pre-unibody MBP is also a breeze to replace the HDD I will have a go when SSD's drop a little more in price

Regards

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

Dustbak

There is a maintenance document on how to replace the HDD with the pre-unibody model. Make sure to get it if it is the first time you are going to replace the HDD. I think I have a copy somewhere if you cannot find it.

The easiest way to replace the drive I found is to make a Timemachine backup to an external disk. Replace the disk, enter the install DVD, partition the new drive via disk utility and do a Timemachine restore.

Make sure you have de-activated your software before taking out your old drive. Adobe nowadays doesn't care and the activation is not affected however I had to contact several vendors of my plug-ins to get help with re-activating software. Better safe than sorry and de-activate everything you can think of.

Phil G

Cheers Dustbak

Yep mine is an 08 first generation 17" so quite a lot of screws to loose and opportunities for mistakes

I came across this illustrative Extreme Tech guide http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2119528,00.asp

which together with the discussion group comments appears pretty comprehensive.

However I find I still have a years worth of warrenty to run so as speed has not been an issue for me I will wait a little and see what pops up this year and/or await the crash in SSD prices

Never been a fan of Timemachine but may be time for me to revisit for for OS Drive backup 

Many Thanks

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

rsmphoto

I'm planning to do this myself before the end of the year - a 240GB. I have a Late 2008 15" MBP which is a snap to change the HDD in. After some research, it seems that the OWC SSD's might eventually be the most Mac friendly in terms of firmware upgrades (expected in Q1 2011 an OS independent firmware update solution, currently vaporware though), which seems to be the main issue with most SSD's and Macs. OCZ Vertex 2 is another option. Both use the preferred (for Macs) Sandforce 1200 controller, which does garbage collection on the fly.