Peli Case - Carry On

Previous topic - Next topic

pb

Good morning all,

A bit of advice required. I am relatively new to the X system. I have an X2D, 28P & 90V lens. Also still have a Leica M11 with a couple of M lenses. Accessories such as lens cleaner/wipes, filters, etc.

Can anyone advise, based on experience, or recommend the internal size I would be looking at for a carry-on hard case. I plan to have a foam insert.

Many thanks.

Paul

Frankvth

Patrick CM

I have the Peli Air 1535 with the Trek-Pak inserts which makes its so easy to customise for when I use different bodies and/or lenses.
It is a big case, and I have NEVER flown with it. Why not? A lot of my flights ( Arctic, Antarctica, South Africa) all involve both International and then local flights. International: Carry On for business class is most usually 23kg. No worries there. BUT then the local leg, sometimes its all economy, is much restricted, we've had as little as 6 kg but I'd say 8-10 kg average. Thats quite limiting and that Peli 1535 would be too much. Also, you're not likely to be able to "buy" weight as some have suggested.

flash

Why would you want a hard case for carry on, if I may ask? I don't think you'd get that on ANY domestic flight in Oz as they're strict about the 7kg limit here. The bag would weigh more than the gear.

I'll occasionally use a hard case in the car where I can chain it to the structure. But for air travel I'd have an ultra light wheelie bag (which you can also put foam in). Personally, on a plane, I'd put all your gear in a Small Wandred backpack and have room left over.

Gordon

pb

Quote from: flash on May 20, 2024, 08:52:54 AMWhy would you want a hard case for carry on, if I may ask? I don't think you'd get that on ANY domestic flight in Oz as they're strict about the 7kg limit here. The bag would weigh more than the gear.

I'll occasionally use a hard case in the car where I can chain it to the structure. But for air travel I'd have an ultra light wheelie bag (which you can also put foam in). Personally, on a plane, I'd put all your gear in a Small Wandred backpack and have room left over.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks. I mentioned it being carry-on because that is one reason I would use it for. Another, using pacsafe mesh, would be to chain it to a fastened structure when travelling.

Alas - I have not been to Oz, but my experience with carry-on is more about exceeding size restrictions not weight (although I often wonder whether this is checked by authorities with the amount of stuff people seem to get away with bringing onto the aircraft).

Cheers.

Paul