Regarding HCD Lens on H3DII-60

Previous topic - Next topic

KWON

I think lens factor will be changed on H3DII-60 because it's
sensor size is diffrent from older models.

Question, is HCD lens(28mm, 35-90mm) compatible to H3DII-60?

If compatible, how many changes on lens factor with HCD lens.   ???

NickT

Yes they are compatible. The zoom will cause files to be cropped when set to 35MM (only) probably down to around 55MP, I think the 28MM will give an effective crop down to 55MP as well, all handled automatically as I understand it.

I'm thinking the screen in the 60MP is going to be very very impressive too :)

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Phil G

Quote from: NickT on May 28, 2009, 03:54:45 PM
Yes they are compatible. The zoom will cause files to be cropped when set to 35MM (only) probably down to around 55MP, I think the 28MM will give an effective crop down to 55MP as well, all handled automatically as I understand it.

I'm thinking the screen in the 60MP is going to be very very impressive too :)

Nick-T

So you bring out a new lens costing over £5k and use it on the latest body (£28k)  and don't even get the best of both worlds!  and the same holds true for the 28mm another £3k lens -  the whole is worse than the sum of the parts methinks someone is losing their way.

And it handles it automatically ie throws away the extra 5Mpix you just paid for! I suppose some will say if you will use Zoom lenses what do you expect! - I expected better from what I always considered to be the best, but we live in an age of compromise and marketing hype

Phil

Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

David Grover

The HCD28 and HCD35-90 were designed before the 60MP sensor was available.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course but to manufacture these lenses to a full frame capacity would most likely make them unaffordable and too heavy.

We also have to remember that not everybody is interested in 60MP sensors.  There are plenty of 22,31,39,50 customers out there (more than 60MP actually) that are well served by these lenses.

hcubell

Any update on when the 60mp H3D will be available, David?

yongsikshin

Quote from: David Grover on May 29, 2009, 07:59:44 AM
The HCD28 and HCD35-90 were designed before the 60MP sensor was available.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course but to manufacture these lenses to a full frame capacity would most likely make them unaffordable and too heavy.

We also have to remember that not everybody is interested in 60MP sensors.  There are plenty of 22,31,39,50 customers out there (more than 60MP actually) that are well served by these lenses.

I'm so anxious to see how H3DII-60 would do in real world, and curious to know how it'd measure up to H3DII-39MS result..(Yep, I'm more into products and still-life stuff...)
HCD 28mm on 39MS looks darn overwhelming, but I don't suppose HCD 3590 would do much wonder in terms of shooting MS since tech. spec sounds like the zoom is originally intended for action shooters.

Regarding HCD crop factor on new 60, I really don't think it's much of the issue... There are many other marvellous HC prime lense options and you can use HTS while you can't on HCD 3590 anyway... Question is, I believe, which lens would serve best for your job... If the zoom sounds weird for your system and shooting style, you can just forget about it and opt for other options available. In my personal opinion,  HC options are still better than Mamiya and the rest o'em solution combined...

Still yet, it'd be good idea if one could do test shot on HCD 3590 at each focal length and compare the result with HC lenses. Until then, I might keep wondering why should I buy one. Um, should I look at the data sheet? But all those MTF charts always give me headache...  :'(