Deleting a Batch of Files on the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Is there a way to delete a batch of files at one time? I know how to delete individual files using the X button, but what do you do if you want to delete "All" at one time? Can't find any information in the manual.

Ario

If you want to delete all the files the easiest way is to format the sd card.

Michael H. Cothran

Thank you. Not only is it the "easiest" way, it also seems to be the "only" way.
I'm used to the H cameras, where you had the choice of "deleting" one image or all of them, separate from formatting the card.

NickT

My advice is to delete only by formatting, I think you'll have a more reliable card experience that way. Considering SD cards are so cheap these days I'd just invest in more capacity.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

pflower

Never ever ever delete multiple images from a card within a camera when shooting in order to free up space - that has been  my experience with:  Nikon DX2, Panasonic GH2, Hasselblad H3D-39 and Sony A7ii. Some of those are old cameras but  whenever I found myself running out of card space and did that with each of those cameras disaster happened - camera locked up, or the card locked up and had to be reformatted or something.  Just buy and keep with you a backup card.  I am not a pro and i do not shoot huge numbers of shots per session but sometimes I have gone out without checking how much space is left on a card and then run out of space so tried to delete from within the camera - somehow it doesn't work well.  I now keep a 32gb SD card in my wallet just in case.  The recovery programs such as Rescue Pro are pretty good but whether they support the latest Hasselblad formats I don't know but don't risk it.  The X1D is the first camera I have had with dual card slots - so I have loaded both with 64gb cards but just today was shooting and found that my primary slot only had 20 exposures left.  You can get caught out as Nick says cards are much much cheaper than film - buy lots of them and keep them to hand.

Ario

This is also what I do. I never delete picture in a card, I always format it in camera when I need space. Before the first use and once in a while I fomat my cards in my Mac using SD Formatter, the specific utility provided by the SD Association.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/