X1D Spirit Level

Previous topic - Next topic

rent

I can't get the spirit level to be calibrated in both landscape and portrait orientation. Calibrating in either orientation results in the level being way off in the other orientation.

This is with the RRS BX1D L-Plate, which I've verified that indeed forms a 90 degree angle.

The factory calibration of the spirit level appears way off as well, in both orientations.

Does anyone else experience this problem? Very annoyed.

Thanks!
Alex
Alex Jiang

Instagram

Alex

This has always (since the H4 models), been the case with Hasselblad's user (custom) calibration of the spirit level, whereby one can only calibrate one orientation.

The idea is that one should have two cameras; one for each orientation ;) - yep it's a joke  ;D

Hopefully one day...

Alex

Michael H. Cothran

While not a complete remedy, you do have the option of using the "tic tac toe" grid lines, both in the finder and back screen. This can be used to advantage in any scene that has any kind of horizontal or vertical lines.

Alex

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on April 07, 2017, 02:47:11 PM
the option of using the "tic tac toe" grid lines, both in the finder and back screen.

I agree; these Grids are good for far landscape and telephoto focal length views, unfortunately they give no help on fore/aft tilt and whilst good for aligning to horizontal/vertical features these can be misleading when in use with wider angle lenses that can confuse rotational perspective with clockwise/anti-clockwise tilt (not forgetting lens distortion)

One needs absolutes on two of the 3ways in order to guessimate the 3rd.

I'd keep pushing for customisable parameters (for all of the relevant models), on the three orientations (including plumb(vertical)), as the sensors are usefully sensitive enough for "pro" use - they just need to be made accessible for unit customisation.