how to use flash rear sync

Previous topic - Next topic

lim71

Hi guys, I have set the flash sync is rear, and I expected the picture should be freeze(or flash will light) at the shutter closing, but when I at the night to use it, I found it cannot freeze the people I used Aperture mode. at night, use low ISO, like ISO 100, it may need 2s exposure, and then I got a very blurry picture. what I need to do? could you give me some help for this situation? I need low ISO for quality but also wanna keep night environment and let nigh view is beautiful but also can make people looks clear.

thanks. 

rent

Use a tripod?

Quote from: lim71 on March 27, 2017, 02:06:41 AM
Hi guys, I have set the flash sync is rear, and I expected the picture should be freeze(or flash will light) at the shutter closing, but when I at the night to use it, I found it cannot freeze the people I used Aperture mode. at night, use low ISO, like ISO 100, it may need 2s exposure, and then I got a very blurry picture. what I need to do? could you give me some help for this situation? I need low ISO for quality but also wanna keep night environment and let nigh view is beautiful but also can make people looks clear.

thanks.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

lim71

Used. But the people is slow moving.

NickT

A two second exposure is going to expose for the back ground (which will be sharp because it is not moving and you are on a tripod). It is also going to expose for the people (if the are under the same lighting) but they are moving so they will blur.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

rent

Not sure there's anything that could be done here then. Use rear shutter sync will ensure that any moving people's trails are behind them, which look more natural.

Alex

Quote from: lim71 on March 27, 2017, 02:05:52 PM
Used. But the people is slow moving.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

lim71

As I known, rear sync will have a tail for people, but it still clear at the last frame. But my problem is that looks people no clear part. I don't know why. Another problem, I found sometimes the rear sync cannot work, I mean at the shutter close, no flash. Any suggestion and tips for night people picture?

Hassilistic

Kudos rent for saying 'Rear Shutter Sync' and not '2nd Curtain Slow Sync Flash'  (ahhh good old days) :P

lim71: why are you shooting ISO100 at night.!!  Only do that for long exposures.  Plus you have a X1D with a CMOS sensor that can shoot high ISO's cleanly!!  Not that it can't be done, but I am confident it is not what you are aiming for here.

For 'Night People Shoot', just increase ISO to 2500 or 3200, Aperture with a little depth of field , and you can probably get away with a shutter of  1/16 handheld or 1/8 tripod.

lim71

ISO 100 because I need clear picture, 3200 of course I can speedup shutter, but lot of noise. and if I use ISO 100 with flash, but use Program mode, it also can get clear people picture. but it means no clear background, the beautiful night picture should be included good background with light and clear people. that is why I wanna use flash in rear sync.