SSD in your laptop?

Previous topic - Next topic

rsmphoto

In the never-ending quest for perceived/actual reliability combined with speed, a question for those who shoot tethered with or without a laptop. Has anyone considered or tried using a 256GB SSD yet, such as the Toshiba?  Things are never as simple as they seem I know, BUT an SSD (in particular the Toshiba - said to be equiv. to 15k rpm) just might make everything run a wee bit faster, plus minimizing the issue of HD crashes. I'm aware there are other less costly SSD's than Toshiba's, most being a bit slower. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks.

Richard

NickT

Hi Richard
I think there is an option to get the macbook air with SSD. I've been watching the technology for a while and think it's getting to the point where prices will start to tumble. I'm considering putting an SSD in the Macpro for scratch..

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

rsmphoto

Quote from: NickT on March 04, 2009, 08:30:02 AM
Hi Richard
I think there is an option to get the macbook air with SSD. I've been watching the technology for a while and think it's getting to the point where prices will start to tumble. I'm considering putting an SSD in the Macpro for scratch..

Nick-T

Right Nick, I agree that SSD prices have and will continue to fall. What with Apple now offering an SSD option with both MacBook lines (though at the price they're asking, likely not the Samsung I think), and with the ease of hard drive removal in the MBpro it seems like a logical consideration. Performance enhancement would have to be substantial enough to justify the extra cost though, thus my query...

rsmphoto

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on March 04, 2009, 09:04:54 AM

Let me put it this way: I thought it would be much faster.

Kind regards,
Derek

Thanks Derek, from what I little I've read in my initial research, performance seems to varies a fair amount among SSD's. Another instance of "you get what you pay for." That's why the Samsung 256GB SSD seems to be so hyped. It's apparently very fast. Do you know which SSD is/are in your Lenovo?

Best,

Richard

NickT

O.K if you guys are wanting to know what to get me for Christmas, I'll have two of the 1TB SSD drives please:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_z_drive_pci_express_ssd

Nick-T :)

Phil G

Pity about the PCI-express as the only interface

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

Andy Johnson-Laird

Quote from: NickT on May 05, 2009, 03:27:30 PM
O.K if you guys are wanting to know what to get me for Christmas, I'll have two of the 1TB SSD drives please:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_z_drive_pci_express_ssd

Nick-T :)

Apologies for reviving a past thread, but I am researching SSDs and I saw this posting by Nick. I followed the link and learned:

"The Z-Drive is based on PCI-Express architecture and offers high-end users an enthusiast-grade storage upgrade from traditional hard disc drives."

Anyone know what the phrase "enthusiast-grade storage upgrade" means? I've never seen it before and I'm not sure I'm enthusiastic enough to warrant this upgrade?

Regards
Andy
Forensic Software Analyst : H4D-50, HTS and beaucoup HC lenses
Portland, Oregon, USA

NickT

I think they mean for the geeks like me :) I think the reason it's PCIx is bandwidth, you can pump a great deal more data through PCI than SATA as I understand it.
Nick-T

Andy Johnson-Laird

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on June 29, 2009, 11:17:45 AM
copy con runmeman.bat
@echo=off
prompt Andy, you're the enthusiast element in the phrase "...enthusiast-grade storage upgrade..."
cls
^Z
runmeman

kr("d")

I was more looking for a "jaded power user storage upgrade...." :)
kr("a")
Portland, Oregon, USA

NickT

In english please boys...in english :)

Andy Johnson-Laird

Quote from: NickT on June 29, 2009, 11:47:38 AM
In english please boys...in english :)

Oh...sorry....we were speaking Geek to each other.

kr("d") invokes the "kind regards" function with the parameter of a string literal, "d" for Derek. I, in turn reciprocated the sentiment by invoking the same function with parameter of a string literal of "a" for Andy.

It gets worse if we had to speak Assembly Language.
     mov  al,"a"
     xor   ah,ah
     push ax
     call    kr

Regards
Andy

Portland, Oregon, USA