Phocus Wishlist

Previous topic - Next topic

pdprinter

Leica just came out with a perspective correction firmware for their M 10 cameras: https://www.dpreview.com/news/6547794019/leica-adds-in-camera-perspective-correction-feature-to-its-m10-p-m10-r-and-m10-monochrom-cameras
It works in camera for jpg but adds panning angle to raw files that the same function could bee implemented in post processing. it would be great if Hasselblad could add a similar function to Phocus (and camera firm ware). I don't expect that processing power is enough for in camera processing.

pss

Quote from: pdprinter on February 03, 2021, 05:06:22 AM
Leica just came out with a perspective correction firmware for their M 10 cameras: https://www.dpreview.com/news/6547794019/leica-adds-in-camera-perspective-correction-feature-to-its-m10-p-m10-r-and-m10-monochrom-cameras
It works in camera for jpg but adds panning angle to raw files that the same function could bee implemented in post processing. it would be great if Hasselblad could add a similar function to Phocus (and camera firm ware). I don't expect that processing power is enough for in camera processing.
that one is a total head scratcher for me....I am all for progress and geeky stuff but that one? and with M leicas? I shoot lots of interiors and architecture but obviously don't shoot jpegs and correcting in Phocus is fast and easy and Auto correct in LR can be hit and miss, I would not use it....
who shoots jpegs with a camera so expensive and so much oriented towards high end capture? how shoots any kind of architecture with the probably least exact framing? I love M leicas but that seems gimmicky at best....
it would make more sense in hasselblad but again, I doubt I would use it (why would I shoot jpegs?) and the controls in Phocus are easy....and I doubt I use auto correct after having used it in LR....

Alex

It would be great if Adjustment layers could be transferred to other images purely through the use of the Modify options, rather than having to save the adjustments as a preset and then manually retrieve and apply to each requisite image - it can become a very laborious & eventually prohibitive exercise :'(

SrMi

Quote from: pss on February 03, 2021, 05:44:33 AM
that one is a total head scratcher for me....I am all for progress and geeky stuff but that one? and with M leicas? I shoot lots of interiors and architecture but obviously don't shoot jpegs and correcting in Phocus is fast and easy and Auto correct in LR can be hit and miss, I would not use it....
who shoots jpegs with a camera so expensive and so much oriented towards high end capture? how shoots any kind of architecture with the probably least exact framing? I love M leicas but that seems gimmicky at best....
it would make more sense in hasselblad but again, I doubt I would use it (why would I shoot jpegs?) and the controls in Phocus are easy....and I doubt I use auto correct after having used it in LR....
I was a beta-tester for perspective correction on M10-R. It is handy, and I really wish other cameras would add it. The main disadvantage is that only Adobe software recognizes the tags.
It is much easier to correct perspective and tilt using the camera's data than doing it yourself. Note that the user can tune the corrections in the post or turn them off completely. The other advantage is that the user sees the PC crop in the EVF to adjust the framing.

P.S.: this is more a camera than a Phocus feature.

bdp

Quote from: Alex on February 03, 2021, 05:44:52 AM
It would be great if Adjustment layers could be transferred to other images purely through the use of the Modify options, rather than having to save the adjustments as a preset and then manually retrieve and apply to each requisite image - it can become a very laborious & eventually prohibitive exercise :'(

You can do this - it is the last item in the list when you bring up the Modify menu. Just uncheck all the other items.

Alex

Quote from: bdp on February 03, 2021, 07:56:56 AM

You can do this - it is the last item in the list when you bring up the Modify menu. Just uncheck all the other items.

Yes - thankfully for Keystoning , but not yet (on Windows) for Adjustment Layers  :(

docholliday

Phase One backs have the sensors to provide the data as well. Capture One can utilize the data to auto correct rotation and keystone in the software, but only from their digital backs.

Not sure if the IQ4 does it internally since it is reputed to "have Capture One built-in" and has much more processor power than the older backs.

pss

Quote from: SrMi on February 03, 2021, 07:26:50 AM
Quote from: pss on February 03, 2021, 05:44:33 AM
I was a beta-tester for perspective correction on M10-R. It is handy, and I really wish other cameras would add it. The main disadvantage is that only Adobe software recognizes the tags.
It is much easier to correct perspective and tilt using the camera's data than doing it yourself. Note that the user can tune the corrections in the post or turn them off completely. The other advantage is that the user sees the PC crop in the EVF to adjust the framing.

P.S.: this is more a camera than a Phocus feature.
I am all for cameras passing that info on to Phocus, LR,...as someone said, Phase does it....count me in....
I just think it is a strange feature to add with in camera jpegs on M cameras....

SrMi

Quote from: pss on February 03, 2021, 11:23:47 AM
<snip>
I am all for cameras passing that info on to Phocus, LR,...as someone said, Phase does it....count me in....
I just think it is a strange feature to add with in camera jpegs on M cameras....

That feature is also for raw files. Who uses jpegs anyway ;).
It does sound a bit weird that a feature that requires live view or EVF is added first to a rangefinder camera. Better at least in M than nowhere :).

pdprinter

Yes one can correct keystone in software but what I find interesting is that the panning angle of the camera is used to determine the necessary correction. Apparently Phase One is doing that too.
Another advantage is that one can see the necessary cropping with the Leica firmware in then viewfinder/display. Not knowing the necessary  crop during capture is the main issue for me just relying on post processing.

bdp

Quote from: Alex on February 03, 2021, 08:02:19 AM
Quote from: bdp on February 03, 2021, 07:56:56 AM

Yes - thankfully for Keystoning , but not yet (on Windows) for Adjustment Layers  :(

Ah, I didn't realise Windows was different! How strange.

NickT

Quote from: docholliday on January 29, 2021, 04:48:33 PM

Yes, it's ridiculous that Hasselblad and Phase One both dedicate so much effort to appease a platform that doesn't even register 10% of the market share under the excuse that "artists usually use Apple". For both company's products that have wifi, it's only useable for mobile. For P1, Windows 10 users of newer versions can't even connect their Firewire backs and can only use USB3 for tethering - which cannot maintain charge under tether.

Hi Doc
Last time I did a survey here on which platform people used is was around 80% mac, just FYI.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

docholliday

Quote from: NickT on February 03, 2021, 04:42:04 PM
Quote from: docholliday on January 29, 2021, 04:48:33 PM

Yes, it's ridiculous that Hasselblad and Phase One both dedicate so much effort to appease a platform that doesn't even register 10% of the market share under the excuse that "artists usually use Apple". For both company's products that have wifi, it's only useable for mobile. For P1, Windows 10 users of newer versions can't even connect their Firewire backs and can only use USB3 for tethering - which cannot maintain charge under tether.

Hi Doc
Last time I did a survey here on which platform people used is was around 80% mac, just FYI.
That's interesting... the dozens of studios, labs, and presses that I know, am friends with, or work with are all Windows. If a Mac was on site, it was either that it hadn't been upgraded/removed yet or was there for compatibility and conversion. Those who used to be Mac switched because of slow performance, high maintenance, and especially bad printer drivers/issues. Quite a few of those sites I performed the network and hardware migration on within the last two years.

pss

IN 30 years of shooting I have not seen a single studio and definitely not a single digital tech work on Windows....which really does not say much or matter at all....since the far majority of computers out there now are iOs or android....
I looked into a surface for shooting tethered with C1 but it was too expensive and touch interfaces and mouse interfaces are just made for different type of interaction....
Phocus on iPad Pro is pretty great btw....