Phocus - Closed Loop Colour Calibration - Mac/PC Interchangeable?

Previous topic - Next topic

DenisM

The Closed Loop Colour Calibration is described here: http://www.hasselblad.com/products/phocus-2-9-colour-calibration/

Question: If I set it up on location using a Mac laptop, can I then process those files back at base on a PC and retain the colour calibration profile?

Or must I process on MAC also?

Thanks.

D.

Alex

Theoretically, as a raw file can be adjusted on one computer and those adjustments are maintained when copying it to another computer then this should be possible cross platform (the 3F file is the creation of the camera and modification of Phocus, not the OS) - I will try check this today.

In the case of the calibration they say it "will be embedded in the 3F file along with the other adjustment settings so there is no need to move the stored calibrations between host computers". So if the adjustments transfer cross platform then so should the calibration.

DenisM

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe it doesn't matter either way........

This is what I've tried.....

1. I capture a file, containing a Gretag Macbeth Colour Checker, tethered to a MAC(!) laptop.

2. I create and save a Colour Calibration using this file.

3. Now, in Colour Calibration in the Reproduction Tool, instead of saying "Factory", it says the name of the colour calibration I've just saved. Great! 

4. I now copy that file to an external drive and open it in Phocus on my Windows 10 desktop.

The file is fine except that in Colour Calibration in the Reproduction Tool it says "Factory" not my saved colour calibration, and there is no sign of my saved colour calibration in the dropdown menu.

a. I had hoped that it would copy across along with the other data (aperture, shutter speed, etc...), but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

b. If it doesn't copy across by default, can I now instead create another Colour Calibration on my Windows 10 machine using this file, and apply this calibration to all the other files I might have shot under the same conditions? I presume that this is what I will have to do. I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

D.

Alex

Hi Denis,

Sorry I've been off sick for the last couple of days and haven't been into the studio; I'll check it out tomorrow.

A

Hassilistic

Hi Denis,

Please ensure the file you captured, saved and copied, that when transferred is still in 3F format, that will allow the CC to be embedded in the file.  Once transferred it will copy those changes if unfound on the other PC.

Cheers,

DenisM

I'm almost too embarrassed to say this...... ;D

Anyway, I NEVER edit on my laptop. It is only used for tethered capture.

So, after creating the Calibration on it, I was forgetting to choose Modify in order to make the Calibration stick. Doh!  ::)

Working perfectly now, between both platforms. Great!

That said, I presume that if I am working in a fixed light situation, I could shoot the Gretag CC first, then shoot everything else. But, leave all the calibration profiling until processing later on the desktop. Ok?

Thanks again.

D.

Alex

Quote from: DenisM on November 17, 2016, 10:52:45 PM
I was forgetting to choose Modify in order to make the Calibration stick

Phew! - I tested this morning and had no problems - I was fearing it might be some kind of unknown intermittent ??? problem

Cool,

A