500C/M out of phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

pkr1979

Hi,

I suspect that on my 500C/M the mirror or focusing screen is not adjusted correctly.

Does anyone have any experience in fixing these things themselves and have any helpful advise?

Also - I assume that the scale written on CF 80mm is correct so that it would be possible focusing using this if the distance to the object is known?

Cheers
Peter

NickT

There are lots of variables around focus.The most likely culprit is the focussing screen and where it's sitting. Do some test shots of a tape measure running away from the camera on the floor. Camera on tripod point down 45 degrees and focus at a point then see where this focus is on film. That will tell you accurately off you are front for back focussed.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Jager

Nick is right.  The foam under the focusing screen eventually deteriorates and focus goes off.  I don't think there's any reliable DIY fix.  The foam needs to be replaced.  Assuming it's been awhile since your last CLA, it's probably time.

pkr1979

Hi - and thanks for the response :-)

Its a 1990-model I got this year. I have no idea if it ever had a CLA so it is probably time.

The only test I did so far is checking if the distance scale on the lens itself is correct or not. With the Hasselblad screen its not (for instance it is not able to focus on infinity), but I tried with a cheap split screen unframed and that seems to show the right distance. Something placed 1 meter from the Ø is sharp on the screen, and its set on the 1 meter mark on the lens. With this screen I am also able to focus on infinity. I dont consider it a permanent solution though as the screen is loose. I havent checked sharpnes on analog photos either (just digital from Epson V700), which I think should be a good idea. I dont find the Epson V700 scans to be super sharp.

I think I'll just go for a CLA :-)

Cheers
Peter

Jager

Well, welcome to the world of V-system Hasselblads, Peter!  I find it to be a most beguiling camera.

The Epson does a decent, but not great, job of scanning those lovely 6x6 negatives.  I sold my extensive collection of Nikon glass to fund a Hasselblad (nee Imacon) Flextight X1.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.

And when you're really ready to treat yourself, the CFV-50c is simply amazing!

Jeff

pkr1979

Thanks Jeff :-) I'd like one of those Flextight scanners too.  In all honesty, the Epson can be slightly frustrating. I wish the Flextights did did 8x10" as well. The CFV-50c is also most certainly  on the wishlist. Out of curiousity, on which V camera do you use it?

Jager

Mine is same as yours, Peter... 500CM.  Fabulous camera system.  I hope you're able to get that CFV-50c, as it integrates exceptionally well with film while at the same time bringing that lovely V-system ethos fully into the modern realm.

It's funny how things work out sometimes.  I was so smitten by using that old V-system camera that that led me to the CFV-50c.  And the files from that digital back are so compelling that that has me anxiously awaiting the X1D. 

Jeff

pflower

I bought a CFV-50c for my 1989 503cx.  Horrible focusing problems - pretty much everything was out of focus or mysteriously hit or miss unless I used live view.  So I sent the body off for focusing calibration - complex business that - the mirror, focusing screen and the back end of the camera where the film or digital backs attach (which I learnt can also be adjusted) all need to be in perfect alignment/adjustment.  I have got it back and there is a major improvement.  Well worth doing either a complete CLA or just get the focusing elements calibrated - it makes a difference.  It is not just the focusing screen that might need attention - the mirror can go out of alignment due to the supports degrading and the precise alignment of the back of the camera with the digital or film backs can need adjustment.  If your camera is working fine mechanically then maybe just a focusing calibration is required.  A full CLA involves stripping the whole camera down to its (surprisingly numerous) parts and then reassembling with replacements where necessary.  A focusing calibration is much cheaper and quicker.

The CFV-50c is wonderful but demanding.  Whereas I had been happy shooting film with my (non adjusted 503) handheld at 1/60th with the 80mm or 50mm lenses, using (the adjusted/calibrated 503) with the CFV-50c requires a complete re-adjustment of technique and approach if shooting handheld.  It can be done successfully but a cable release, mirror up and shutter speed of 1/250th or 1/500th is better.  Fortunately the CFV-50c's high ISO performance makes that perfectly feasible.  Properly exposed files at 1600 iso or even 3200 show little or no noise.  With film you are limited to HP5 or Tri-X which I have always found to be optimum at 320 iso.  So achieving the higher shutter speeds is perfectly possible.  Of course on a tripod - no problem at any speed -  if you remember to raise the mirror.

I have an X1D on order.  But there is still something magical about shooting with a 503.  The X1D sensor may be the same as the CFV-50c but still ...  the old mechanical cameras require more thought and preparation and care than shooting with a pure digital camera but that is part of the attraction.  Enjoy.