Back not starting - a way to reset, where repair in Canada

Previous topic - Next topic

dale

Hi.
I have been using this H3D with 31 back for about 6 years controlled via Flexcolor from a Mac G5. There have been a few times where a hard reset, powering off and removing the battery and firewire cable have been necessary.
On Friday the firewire cord did get some stress when plugged in and on and seems to have shorted across or caused other damage.
Both back LEDs are red with no screen. The back is not recognized from Flexcolor.
The camera boots up fine but errors with "no magazine" if the back is missing, or "starting up" once you push the shutter button if the back is connected. Metering works and it autofocusses on a half press if the back isn't connected.
If I have started the camera and turn it off, the LEDs on the back stay red unless I remove the battery. Batteries are charged.

Is there a way to reset the back other than just the cold boot? 
What are repair options from Canada?
Is a used working back a better option?

Best

Dale

NickT

Can you provide a bit more info Dale?

Is the LCD on the camera coming up? Is this tethered or untethered?
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

dale

The back doesn't boot tethered or untethered.

Sorry, an enter posted the message while I was still composing it.

NickT

Drop the battery off the camera and try again.

Also look at removing the back and checking the gold pins on both back and body for damage or dirt.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

dale

I have tried cleaning, charging, removing the back, leaving it tethered... Still a red light and "starting up" message in the viewfinder and top display. The back display screen doesn't light up.
Phocus needs an Intel chip so won't run on the G5. May try installing it on something that has firewire. From Flexcolor the camera is no longer recognized.