mac mini el capitan 10.11.4 phocus 3

Previous topic - Next topic

slides

I have a mac mini processor 2.3 GHz intel core i5 with El Capitan 10.11.4 with 16G bytes of ram, a graphics card HD 3000 512MB . I installed phocus 3 , and was so slow that it almost can not work with him . I've tried with phocus 2 , and remains very slow. Anyone know how can it working normally. for more than five years to use the phocus on several machines, and had never happened this.

slides

Anyone have this problem? I have two Mac mini, equal, and the two have the same problem . every time I make a function, appears runs the operating system, and it takes forever to make the selected function. More strange is that to have a imac with el capitan , where phocus 3 runs normally. Someone can help me?

Chris Gahran

I am not a computer guru but your problem is probably the graphics card.

My brief search tells me you are using a Mid-2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 Ghz i5.

From everymac.com -

"Video Card: HD Graphics 3000; VAM Type: Integrated
This model has an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics processor that shares memory with the system."

You probably need to get a new iMac or find a late model aluminum tower but either should have a dedicated Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) also known as a "graphics card". A GPU has a built-in processor and it is used to render (draw on the screen) the images produced by Phocus.

BTW, it appears only 27-inch iMacs now have dedicated graphics cards. (Curious, my 21.5-inch mid-2010 iMacs have ATI Radeon graphics cards. Have not tried Phocus 3 but up to Phocus 2.6.6 they work well.)

Chris

Chris Gahran

Phocus 3.0 Mac read-me
April 14th 2016

Compatibility
Mac OS X 10.10 or later is required and only 64 bit Mac's are supported. In case you need to run Phocus on older versions of OS X please visit our software archive.
Phocus requires at least 2 GB of memory, where 8 GB or more is recommended.

System Requirements
Graphics adapters
You should be aware that the Phocus viewer utilizes the processing power of the GPU - therefore using a Mac with a high performance GPU is definitely an advantage. That being said all current Mac's using discrete GPU's should give good performance.

Notice the last sentence which states "...Mac's using discrete GPU's should give good performance." That means a separate, dedicated GPU.

Mac Minis and new 21.5-inch iMacs do not have separate Graphic Processing Units.

Chris