Which camera?

Previous topic - Next topic

Morris P

Hi there. I'm new to the forum but wondered if anyone could help...

I shoot portraits for magazines and papers etc. Often there is little light and not much time. I use a Canon 5Dmk3 - which is excellent - but would like to upgrade to medium format because I prefer the feel of the images.

Megapixel count isn't very important, but high ISO (up to around 6400 ideally) and versatile focus are. I have used the Pentax 645z and the files are great in post, but I didn't like the feel of the lenses that much and the focusing is limited.

I would like to spend under £8k and wondered what was might suit - perhaps an H5D? Or a H4X with a Phase One back? I think the True Focus system would suit my needs but am not sure how well the first generation version works.

Thanks!

jerome_m

What you do is not where MF shines. The lenses are relatively slow compared to 24x36. ISO 6400 requires a cmos sensor, which is a bit more expensive than your budget with the lenses (the cheapest one from Hasselblad is the H5D-50c). The AF system is limited on all MFs and true focus is not for moving subjects. Last but not least, my experience is that MFs are more sensitive than 24x36 cameras to light with poor colour fidelity (e.g. fluorescent lights).

Morris P

Thanks Jerome. When not using lights I'm always shooting in unadulterated daylight, and I'm familiar with the speed of the camera(s). But like you say I guess I need a CMOS sensor and they don't come cheap.

Do you know what speed the CCD backs can usably go up to - for instance on the H4D-50? The images tend to only run around A4 size (A3 maximum) so can stand a *little* noise...

jerome_m

The maximum iso value one can set on the H4D-50 camera is ISO800.

The maximum iso value one can set on the H4D-31 or H4D-40 cameras is ISO1600 (these sensors have microlenses to increases sensitivity). The results are ok, provided one uses Phocus to process the files.

On top of that, the typical MF lens is one to two stops slower than the Canon equivalent. Combine the two and we are talking about 5 stops difference between the two systems.

Hassilistic

Hi Morris,

CCD back 50 & 60MP are from (50-800 ISO) while 40MP is (100 -1600 ISO) and I have the latter.  I have attached an image here for you to see from my website, shot at ISO 800 handheld with shutter priority at 1/125s (Exif details included) with only a lamp post as a source of light.  Is there noise in the shadows... certainly, is it relevant.. No!  And believe me when I tell you I have yet to acquire the skill to clean it up.

If Hasselblad cameras are not suitable for portraiture photography I don't know what is!  If ISO 6400 is the only way for you to go about it, then most definitely get the 50C.  I have said this before so many times simply rent it, try it out, I am confident you will reach the same decision we all have.

As for MF lenses being slower, you will easily find that it is more than adequate for the job and light behaves differently here.  I would suggest you try HC 150 & HC 210mm , simply can't be beat for headshots.  Throw in battery pack flash heads and you're Herb Ritts.

Happy Shooting

jerome_m

Quote from: Hassilistic on May 15, 2016, 06:31:44 PMThrough in battery pack flash heads and you're Herb Ritts.

Flash heads would indeed make the MF setup work, but then it is not "available light". This guy is using flash heads and a MF camera for his portraits: https://www.joeyl.com/blog/all/post/guerrilla-fighters-of-kurdistan

Here is a sample of the portraits:

and here is a sample of the light setup:

Hassilistic

Thanks for the link Jerome..
I use a similar travel setup [Broncolor Move 1200 L Battery Power Pack] , a little pricey yet can't be beat, 1200W/sec - Flash durations of upto 1/20,000 sec. - amazing recycle times in Speed mode: 0.02 - 0.9 sec. - range of 9.0 f/stops in 1/10th f/stop or full f/stop increments - built in wireless antenna - Modeling lamp - and color temperature made for Hasselblad superior tones - Symmetrical / Asymmetrical light distribution - plus its light weight and easy to setup in under a minute. 

Sorry for sounding like an Ad, but I love them so much I can't stop talking about them.  Was a complete game changer for me.

http://www.bron.ch/uploads/tx_bronproducts/move_backpack_open2_UR_01.jpg
Trolley/Backpack
http://www.bron.ch/uploads/tx_bronproducts/move_outdoor_trolley_backpack_country_UR__01.JPG

http://www.bron.ch/uploads/tx_bronproducts/move_outdoorkit_2_proto_GLO.jpg

Morris P

Quote from: Hassilistic on May 15, 2016, 06:31:44 PM
Hi Morris,

CCD back 50 & 60MP are from (50-800 ISO) while 40MP is (100 -1600 ISO) and I have the latter.  I have attached an image here for you to see from my website, shot at ISO 800 handheld with shutter priority at 1/125s (Exif details included) with only a lamp post as a source of light.  Is there noise in the shadows... certainly, is it relevant.. No!  And believe me when I tell you I have yet to acquire the skill to clean it up.

If Hasselblad cameras are not suitable for portraiture photography I don't know what is!  If ISO 6400 is the only way for you to go about it, then most definitely get the 50C.  I have said this before so many times simply rent it, try it out, I am confident you will reach the same decision we all have.

As for MF lenses being slower, you will easily find that it is more than adequate for the job and light behaves differently here.  I would suggest you try HC 150 & HC 210mm , simply can't be beat for headshots.  Throw in battery pack flash heads and you're Herb Ritts.

Happy Shooting

Thanks Hassilistic. Next time I'm on a commercial job I'll hire out the 50C on someone else's budget (!). It seems to be the best solution, though rather a lot more than I can spend at the moment. It's tempting to perhaps get an H5 or H4 body with a CCD back and just expense CMOS back hire if and when I need the extra speed. The results seem so much richer than with 35mm that I may just have to slightly alter the way I shoot...

To be honest though f2.8 at 800 and 1/125 would be plenty for most situations. As for flash heads, I only use them when I absolutely have to, otherwise the iso wouldn't be an issue at all.

Morris P

Quote from: jerome_m on May 15, 2016, 05:55:14 PM
The maximum iso value one can set on the H4D-50 camera is ISO800.

The maximum iso value one can set on the H4D-31 or H4D-40 cameras is ISO1600 (these sensors have microlenses to increases sensitivity). The results are ok, provided one uses Phocus to process the files.

On top of that, the typical MF lens is one to two stops slower than the Canon equivalent. Combine the two and we are talking about 5 stops difference between the two systems.

Thanks Jerome!