Phocus v2.9.2 software preview image corruption

Previous topic - Next topic

sgoodwin

Hello all,

I'm a photographer's assistant and the photographer I am working with for the next few weeks has bought a brand new 21.5inch iMac with 4k Retina display (so it's running OSX El Capitan 10.11.3) and we've encountered a problem when viewing the .fff raw files in Phocus v2.9.2. It also occurs in v2.9.1 and it is not possible to downgrade any further. I've uploaded screenshots to my Dropbox here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ds83v3ux1xyic56/AACN5cmiQLvQCOa03JPsj9bFa?lst

We can't work out why the preview image corrupts when zoomed to anything between 26% and 99%. It means we aren't able to view the whole image 'fit to screen' which is our preferred way of working and is a massive waste of screen real estate. The raw files and exports are not corrupted at all and we have been through every setting we can think of. It looks similar to a graphics card problem I have encountered before but this iMac is new out of the box yesterday and was even bought to replace an old iMac that the graphics card failed on!

Has anyone else encountered this problem and know of a possible solution?
Thanks for any help.

Tech spec in summary:
Hasselblad H3DII-22
Tethered to Phocus v2.9.2
iMac 21.5inch with 4k Retina display
OSX 10.11.3 El Capitan

NickT

I've never seen a preview like that.

Every FFF file has an embedded preview file which is thrown up on the screen for speed, it's only when you zoom in that Phocus renders from the actual file, (that's why there is a slight delay in drawing sometimes).

Can you try this:

Select a few images, choose save and select "JPG fast preview". This will save the previews (very efficient way to save a bunch of lords images for the web btw).

If these previews are ok then it's to do with how they are being displayed (OS/graphics bug). Be worth loading some of these images on a different machine too.

Let us know how you get on.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

sgoodwin

Thanks for the suggestions Nick. I have tried what you suggested and there are no problems with the "JPG fast preview" exports, and the same raw files work fine on a different machine so that can only leave a hardware, OSX and Phocus problem. Sadly nothing we can solve ourselves. I have emailed Hasselblad to make them aware of the bug and will see what they suggest/await an update.
Thanks.

Jeff Herbert

I've been having the exact same problem as you.  After many discussions and tests with both Hasselblad and Apple Genius Bar, it seems that it's an issue with the iMac.  After 3 hrs of testing, reinstalling OSX, etc, Apple brought out a new iMac - the same model as mine and it worked fine, no more white litho looking image in the preview.  Until they saw that, Apple was convinced that it was a software problem.  Now my iMac is in repair for a new Logic Board, which evidently includes the video card and RAM.  Fingers crossed!

Hope this helps others that might be having the same problem.  I'm surprised (and a bit annoyed) that Hasselblad USA seemed to have no knowledge of this issue – yet obviously I'm not the only one!

Jeff Herbert