Buying a new camera CCD vs CMOS Hasselblad vs PhaseOne

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Gysin

My trusty Hasselblad broke and now I'm looking into buying a new one. My main focus is still-life especially watches and I heard that the CCD is better suited than CMOS as the CMOS has already more contrast. Also does anybody has some insights into the 50MP multi-shoot. Is there a noticeable increase in detail? Also I ask myself if it's not better to leave Hasselblad after over 10 years and switch to PhaseOne as they might be the more sure investment in the long run and they new camera is tempting. Any comments, onions etc are welcome

Alex

Quote from: Marc Gysin on February 20, 2016, 05:47:24 AM
does anybody has some insights into the 50MP multi-shoot. Is there a noticeable increase in detail?

From my experiences;
There is an immediate and obvious increase in revealed detail when switching from Singleshot to the Multishot on the same sensor; insomuchas the details between edges - the subtle nuances in the surfaces become more visible - something that post capture sharpening doesn't really get to reveal - in fact with the MS, sharpening techniques move away from edge sharpening  and more towards increasing microcontrast  which seems to give images more 'grip'. However, subject matter that is mostly line and edges - like a map would not really benefit from using a MS in comparison to something like an organic surface like a piece of stained wood or a pearl.

I have had no experience with P1 so can't comment, I've had a look at another photographer's Aptus II 12 (80MP) (mounted on an H2), and although it was quicker and made larger images I found it revealed slightly less detail than the 50MS.

Maybe helpful - I've read elsewhere that the Kodak CCD chip used in the Hassy 50MP works well with movements on a tech cam.

All best with finding the right solution for you.

Alex

NickT

Multi shot is indeed amazing, especially for things like watches or whiskey bottles, see if you can get a demo.

I wouldn't be too worried about Hasselblad's future, lots of exciting things coming. :)
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Hassilistic

With large investments never guess... Go out and rent one for the weekend, give the 200MS a try, believe me it will really be hard giving it back.
P1 don't have the lenses for the work you do.  And if it is the P1 backs that interest you, then get the H5X. 

For what you do there is only 2 options, either get the Hassy Multishot and stay with your tried and tested system, or get the SINAR eXact back and system, which also happens to be a Multishot back however with lenses of large format, and those are a whole another world.  Again, don't take just our words for it, go rent one on the second week, compare results and make an informed decision.

Cheers,

jerome_m

Alternatively, you could simply replace your dead H3DII-50 by a second-hand H3DII-50 or H4D-50. That will probably the cheapest option (http://shop.fotopartner.de/epages/Fotopartner.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Fotopartner/Categories/Gebrauchtartikel/Hasselblad#.Vseg1zY1dSU has 2 for 5460€ + VAT, refurbished with 12 months warranty).

Marc Gysin

Marc Gysin

some of my answer was cut of...

I value your input and I will test both systems next week. My local dealer has apparently an interesting offer for me. I have to check if the MS back works with my Cambo and the Schneider Shutter Control ES.
-> Nick T watches and whiskey are my main subjects... If you say that amazing things are ahead maybe I should wait? My main concern after being a loyal customer for more than a decade is after the new owners brought out the strange rebranded cameras there was not much development on the MF side. PhaseOne has developed an appealing camera and their software is way better than the antique Phocus. I know you can't tell us more but I'm confused about the stagegy of Hasselblad and this is not a good ground to take a decision on this finical scale.

I keep you posted

NickT

Hi Marc
I can say with confidence that we won't be seeing any more re-branded Sonys. Capture one is indeed much more fully featured than Phocus (It's not free mind) but as capture software Phocus works perfectly well for me before I move on to lightroom or Photoshop. There's always new product coming down the pipeline and of course this years a Photokina year so expect announcements there. That being said I can't see anything suddenly replacing multi-shot, I'm a huge fan of multi-shot and if you have clients that appreciate quality (Watch makers!) you should absolutely look into it.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Marc Gysin

Hi Nick

thank you. I'm also quite happy with Phocus and I have the same workflow as you. There could always be more features. The only which was strange that at one point in Phocus (I don't remember the exact version) they changed the way sharpening was applied and it mad it almost useless for me as it introduced artefacts. So I export them now without sharpening and do all in Photoshop. I don^'t know what the reason behind this was, maybe it works better with the new CMOS models. Anyway I will test the multi shoot and a PhaseOne 80MP it next week.

Have great day

Marc