H5D-40 white balance problems

Previous topic - Next topic

fotografmarkusp

Hi!

I've had my first Hasselblad, a H5D-40, for a couple of months. I've already had it in for service because of a lot of issues, and I just received a new body, so this is number two I have right now.

One of the issues is that on high ISO, the image gets divided vertically in two different white balances. Anyone heard of this before? I never shoot on ISO800 or ISO1600, so I can live with it. Still, it really should not occur on a camera with this price tag.

Other issues: error messages like "restart camera", "reattach lens", "reattach viewfinder" comes form time to time.

Yet another issue is that sometimes when I connect my f2.2 100mm lens, the aperture can only be set to f3.5 as lowest. I have to turn the camera off, disconnect the battery and the lens and then reattach them and restart, then it works.

Anyone else experiencing these issues on H5D-40?

You can download RAW-files where the WB issue is visible here: www.markusp.se/download/150503RAW.zip

/Markus, Sweden

NickT

Hi Marcus
I would be asking for a new camera, you should not be having these issues on a new unit.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

fotografmarkusp

Quote from: NickT on May 04, 2015, 09:58:33 AM
Hi Marcus
I would be asking for a new camera, you should not be having these issues on a new unit.

Nick-T

I already got a new one, last week. But I believe it's a manufacturing problem. The sensor is made and bought from a third party, it's not made by Hasselblad. The sensor is divided into two parts when they are as large as on medium format cameras, I guess it has something to do with this. Different calibrations or something.

It's strange though, when you buy allegedly top of the line products, and get issues like this. Or it might be that I'm just unlucky. Last year when I bought a Canon 1Dx I had to go through three different cameras, all with the same problem on delivery. There were spots on the sensor which didn't go away. I had to cancel my purchase and bought a 7D mk II instead.

It's a pity because I really want to use the best gear possible, which you might think would be the most expensive. To bad this isn't the case!

jerome_m

Quote from: fotografmarkusp on May 04, 2015, 06:50:47 PMThe sensor is divided into two parts when they are as large as on medium format cameras, I guess it has something to do with this.

It is true that MF sensor are manufactured in "tiles", but the camera is normally calibrated at the factory so that the differences do not show. You have a malfunctioning camera and should request a replacement. Normally, these cameras simply work.

What is surprising is that you had the issue twice, while it is not a frequent issue. This being said, people have been known to win the lottery twice or being hit twice by lightning, so improbable events sometimes happen twice.

Still: I seem to recall that the problem with sensor tiles, as well as the various quirks you noted are sometimes linked to power problems. Please check the camera with another battery and make sure all contacts are clean. Some alcohol or glass cleaning fluid on a Q-tip works well on contacts.

fotografmarkusp

Quote from: jerome_m on May 05, 2015, 12:50:40 AM
Quote from: fotografmarkusp on May 04, 2015, 06:50:47 PMThe sensor is divided into two parts when they are as large as on medium format cameras, I guess it has something to do with this.

It is true that MF sensor are manufactured in "tiles", but the camera is normally calibrated at the factory so that the differences do not show. You have a malfunctioning camera and should request a replacement. Normally, these cameras simply work.

What is surprising is that you had the issue twice, while it is not a frequent issue. This being said, people have been known to win the lottery twice or being hit twice by lightning, so improbable events sometimes happen twice.

Still: I seem to recall that the problem with sensor tiles, as well as the various quirks you noted are sometimes linked to power problems. Please check the camera with another battery and make sure all contacts are clean. Some alcohol or glass cleaning fluid on a Q-tip works well on contacts.

Yes, well, I gotta have some kind of curse on me when it comes to professional and very expensive camera equipment then... :)

My Hasselblad reseller told me the same thing, that the sensor is calibrated from the factory. Strange though, that the very same issue has happened twice. In that case, it would mean that the left and right half of the sensor has equally bad/unmatching calibration on both these cameras. My reseller also told me that the calibration profile is unique for each camera. It surely does not seem that way in this case.

I have two different batteries now, one from the first H5D-40 and one that came with the second camera. I can perform my very non-scientific tests with both batteries and see if it makes any difference. I doubt it though.

Hassilistic

Markus,  I have had my H5D40 now for 7 months, and I have pretty much experienced all of what you have mentioned.  And Just like you, I remove the battery and reconnect and continue shooting.  Never had a chance to complain or return I can't afford to be separated from it.  As long as it shots, I don't mind them, I figured it will be just a matter of time before a Firmware update comes along and fixes all of this.

Cheers,

fotografmarkusp

Quote from: Hassilistic on May 17, 2015, 06:28:10 AM
Markus,  I have had my H5D40 now for 7 months, and I have pretty much experienced all of what you have mentioned.  And Just like you, I remove the battery and reconnect and continue shooting.  Never had a chance to complain or return I can't afford to be separated from it.  As long as it shots, I don't mind them, I figured it will be just a matter of time before a Firmware update comes along and fixes all of this.

Cheers,

Like I wrote, I got a new body from Hasselblad. I haven't had time to test it thoroughly yet but tests I have down proves that there are issues with this one as well. I have sent RAW files where the white balance issue is visible, but these shots were taken on ISO800 and ISO1600 and underexposed about one f-stop. According to Hasselblad the sensor and white balance is within the tolerance limits of their testing, so I'll just have to live with it.

I can live with the error messages as well just as long as they do not occur TOO often.

It's a shame though, on such an expensive camera. It would really be nice if some of these issues could be solved with a firmware update.