Automatic Shutdown of an iMac running OSX 10.6.8

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gahran

We use a dedicated iMac for uploading files. Two days ago 800MB was uploaded and the process ended long after regular hours. "Hightail" is accessed through Firefox and we set the iMac's sleep function to "Never" to accommodate the upload process. I would prefer not to have the Firefox window burning into the iMac's screen for twelve hours until the following day.

I've tried to use the System Preference>Energy Saver>Schedule but it asks you to close the open program (Firefox) so a scheduled shutdown can occur. If you're not there to approve quitting the open program, the shutdown does not happen.

Can anyone recommend a shutdown program that will quit the running software and then perform a shutdown? If I had to, I would use a program that puts the computer to sleep. Thanks...

Omddoudou

Hello, Applescrip can make the deal (i think so...), i'll give it a try this WE and come back to you as soon as possible.

Olivier
Digital, what else ?

jerome_m

I would think that typing "sudo shutdown -h time" in terminal would do the job.

Chris Gahran

Okay, I've been successful both putting my laptop to sleep and shut down while a Browser (either Safari or Firefox) is open with multiple tabs or multiple windows open. What I've learned is to turn off the warning about closing multiple Tabs or Windows in the Browser's Preferences. With the warning turned off my laptop shuts down or goes to sleep.

I'll need to confirm it also works on an iMac at work next week but I think I have the answer without using the Terminal. Using the Terminal honestly makes me nervous.

Chris

NickT

Chris my computers never shut down they just sleep. You can set the display to go off but the computer not to sleep (in your case) or let it sleep after 3 hours, if you thought that was enough time for the upload.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Chris Gahran

Nick,

My associate slid both Energy Saver sliders to "never" and I was hesitant to mess with the iMac once the first of four uploads started. In the future I'll have him set the monitor slider to sleep in thirty minutes or less so the machine can upload all night if necessary. I still may set the machine to shut down in five or six hours.

Chris